*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/794730-This-ones-about-starting-I-guess
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#794730 added October 17, 2013 at 12:58am
Restrictions: None
This one's about starting, I guess.
30DBC PROMPT: "Invalid Item

What's up, folks? This is the entry I didn't want to write. I started it earlier today, then took a nap in the middle of it, and it went away due to the magical refreshness of Windows 8. I don't mind it, actually.

But I need to feel my hands on a keyboard while seeing words on a screen. It's been the craziest stretch of days.

For those that don't know, my uncle passed away unexpectedly last week. Well, sometime in the last week. We don't know when for sure. I know Thursday is when we found out. We don't know exactly why yet.

I hadn't seen him in around 25 years. Years! But from what I remember, he was always quiet. He kept to himself. Didn't bother anyone, and didn't want to be bothered. I can respect that.

He lived in Connecticut. My mom and brother drove up to Cortland, picked me up, and we stayed out there for the weekend as we went through his cute little house. He'd probably rather I not refer to it that way, but too bad...it's my blog, and I call it like I see it.

On a personal level, I don't know grief. I know sadness in all its colors and forms. I know death. I don't know how to process what's in-between. I know I saw things this weekend I can't un-see, smelled things I can't un-smell, and lived through something no one should have to live through. I know I need to be closer to people I should be closer to. It's not a question of how. It's a matter of doing. I'm not good at it. Perspective helps, when it doesn't shift. There's no instruction manual for what happened in CT. It just is, and we just are. What we do in the middle is what counts.

I can't say much about it; what is there to say? At some point I'll slip back into my daily routine of little importance, while the world gets bigger and farther away. Unless I do something about it. Hey, if you're happy, more power to ya. And if you're not, well, I know it's not an easy thing to deal with, but you can. Changes come if you're willing to make them. Call someone; sometimes the best conversations are just hearing someone breathe. Everybody's got shit to deal with, and life doesn't get easier with age for most of us. I've been in depths that you can't imagine, and yet here I am. It's alright. Maybe you've been worse, but you're here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zINtulhM

BCF PROMPT: "Tell me about a funny, memorable commercial you saw recently."

My man CJ Reddick , comin' up with a strong prompt. It's 11:30pm my time, so I debated going with the actual prompt for the 16th, which was something about being successful. Wasn't in the place then to address it, and honestly, if I have to tell you about success(es), then I wasn't very, ahem, successful. I don't trust people who claim to be what they are, because their actions should speak for themselves. Like, don't tell me you're the "funniest motherfucker around" unless you actually are. You're just wasting both of our time.

So commercials. We're on that, right? I don't own a tv, so I don't watch enough to see commercials. But I try to get at least the Sunday Night Football telecast from NBC, and I've also been able to stream a few Notre Dame games as well. And my lord, the few commercials they play are maddening, if only because they play over and over! It's the same damn ones! Some damn Toyota car/minivan ad about a kid being bullied, and Stubhub's "Ticket Oak". Every damn time.

I used Stubhub once to get Sabres tickets. Got a wicked reasonable deal on center-ice seats. Took my ex to her first game, and she loved it. She was so adorable about it. I was jacked because I'd never sat so close to ice level...we were a "hey, WTF??" away from the penalty box at FNC Arena. Great seats at a more than reasonable price.

But this Stubhub commercial is funny to me. The way he says "Whaaaaat?" in the middle of him asking is classic and priceless. I love you too, Ticket Oak. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srT4hqYTYz4

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Not one song can specifically define this past weekend in CT. Uncle Tom liked classic rock. He had an amazing old school set-up for his audio. Makes me miss my tapes, turntable and records. I shared Thom Yorke and Sparklehorse's version of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on his Facebook wall, because after going through his cds, that's as close as we were. If he were me and I were him, we'd be pumping this from his truck when it needed to be heard.



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Twitter* I haven't been very active on Twitter lately, but I'll get there. @Fivesixer if you're so inclined.

*Eat* The rest stop in Massachusetts where we stopped for food is crazy bad. It's like a food court, which is ok, but I had to poop. Did my thing, came out, and thought about eating. Waited in line for a burger at their McDonalds (I don't fucking eat burgers) for about 20 minutes. Requested a refund on my #whatever value meal just to end up with a sorta ok piece of corporate pizza from Papa Gino's. Not great. I'll again take to my grave that the best pizza places are corner joints that you don't need GPS info for.

And I'm calling this a night. We, you, me, we're closing up shop for the night. Thanks for coming out and seeing it thus far. Peace, take me home, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



I don't know where I'm goin' but I'll end up in your arms.

© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/794730-This-ones-about-starting-I-guess