*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792427-Chopsticks
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#792427 added September 26, 2013 at 3:15pm
Restrictions: None
Chopsticks
September 26th, 2013 *RainbowR*

It is amazing to me how grace can happen. Every week I volunteer to visit a mentally handicapped man. I will call him Louis. Louis has the intelligence of a five year old and yet I have learned in a short time he is a whole lot smarter than that. I recall working with a woman named Wanda. Upon dealing with staff that were less than competent she let me and anyone else who was in ear shot know. "I may be retarded, but I am not stupid."*Smirk*

Louis is down in the dumps. He is used to watching Westerns and the large screen television does not work. As I enter his room he looks away from his small television and it is as if he is brought back to life. We talk about the art work in his room. He talks about doing a painting for me, asking me what I would like him to draw in the picture. He is totally available to the moment!!! We get to talking about how much money he is asking for his paintings. He goes over and shows me his fancy tablet paper and paint brushes. He lets me know that he usually get ten dollars, but is willing to sell one to me for two dollars. I ask him what he does with all the money and he mentions going out to eat. He has a big grin on his face: "Chinese food"!! I then asked him if he used chopsticks.*RollEyes*

At this point Louis completely loses it. He is laughing hysterically and for at least five to ten minutes he will not let go of what I call GRACE(a joyful noise).*Laugh* It is all because of one silly word and I had absolutely no agenda. I was just trying to have a conversation He went on to talk about how another resident would probably break the chopsticks and eat them. He spends a lot of time sharing what it would be like for him to eat with them He says he would have to stab the food, which would not be as easy with food items like jello and rice. Who needs television anyway? For those brief moments I knew what it would be like to be in heaven There would be just me Louis and chopsticks!!!!
*ButterflyV*

© Copyright 2013 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/792427-Chopsticks