*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780937-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#780937 added April 19, 2013 at 4:42pm
Restrictions: None
Friday
I put in a suggestion for a calendar/scheduler in our portfolios or wherever. I did look, but did not see any place to set one up in here, so the next logical thing to do was to suggest they create one. I figured if they (WDC) didn't think this feasible, I could try and make something on my own in my port, kind of like my journal. If not here, then at least download a simple program for on my computer.

I made the suggestion yesterday, then left for work. Today I seen a comment to my suggestion and was informed there is such a thing already here, in groups. I was also given a link and directed to the area that instructed on setting up groups, calendar function. It sounded like what I wanted, but in a group instead of a private calendar.

Not sure, I thanked the person, and having little time to research this further, inquired in an e-mail if this was alright to use or if it would misuse site resources. I also asked if it was possible to have a group with no members except the founder. I went and ate dinner, came back to find a reply waiting for me, and yes to both questions. Yes it does use some resources, but they are provided as part of my paid membership, so go ahead and use them. Also, yes it is possible to set up a group and not have any members. In fact, I was informed i could even set it for private, so no one can see anything about it.

I thanked the person again, then set about creating a group. It was pretty easy to do, and with the tutorial from WDC, I was soon done and setting my first calendar event. I set a goal, of course, for writing.

I have been wanting to write, or more truthfully, needing to write. With little time, great demands on my time, and a lot of stress, it just was not happening. I tried just starting something in hopes it would break the block, and I did get an idea to go with. I jotted it down quick, and that was the end of that day. I would have loved to go further on it, but I needed to get to bed and be rested for the next day.

The next day came and went, but I did not get in to do any work on my story. As work loomed bigger and bigger in front of me, I realized what I needed to do. I needed to assign myself a writing exercise. Yes, and to schedule it in for working, too. So, the idea progressed into a plan. I would do the same thing I did when i had to write for my English Comp. Class. Only, instead of Mr. Byrn giving the assignment to us, I would give my own.

This part I am still not fully decided on, but I'm thinking I will pick out some subjects to write on. I can number them or something and then use the virtual dice to roll for my next assignment. I may even put it as part of my group; an activity.

Anyway, I will give myself a writing assignment and log that date. I will also set a goal date for developing the item, a goal date for the first draft, and a goal date for the first edited draft. It will not be fully done, but it will have been edited enough to open it up for reviews and further corrections.

That is the idea, but how to set the goals into something I can look at. A daily, weekly or any kind of planner is what I needed. Instead, I have a group with many possibilities yet undiscovered. For now, I have a calendar, I have the ability to edit and post my goals there, and I have many undiscovered possibilities. I hope to advance the system I'm using with time, as I find more ways to incorporate group items into tools to use to help me write.

One is the activities I mentioned above. I may be able to use this function to select writing assignments. I may be able to set rewards for achieving my goals. Sure, I would be picking them myself, but they would be automated or something to indicate I have met a goal. I may even be able to use the comments for notes to help me advance this idea. I do not know, yet, but I do know there are possibilities waiting there. And,who knows, perhaps one day, with help from others who also desire to use this system, the group will begin to take on members and help others the same as it is for me.

For now, though, one step at a time. The first step; I have my calendar and can set up goals. I did, my first assignment is listed, the date for developing it is set, the date for the first draft is set, and a date for a first edited copy is set. I gave myself a week for each, even though it is a pretty easy story to write. I thought it best to start out with giving myself extra time so that I can achieve and succeed instead of setting myself up to fail.

Three weeks from now, or sooner, I shall have a story written, and the first results of my new found group will be out.

© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780937-Friday