*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/777554-In-Need-of-Spring
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#777554 added March 14, 2013 at 2:49pm
Restrictions: None
In Need of Spring
There is a pun in here somewhere, I just know it. On the one side, we have this Ford van that has a broken spring on the front strut. It's working just fine and not causing any problems, just a bit of noise here and there. I have ordered the spring and strut assembly and have it on hand, waiting now for the time to replace it. But, that is not the spring I speak of. I'm thinking of warmer weather, green grass, flowers in bloom, and the song of birds filling the air.

Spring is and always has been, my time. It is my favorite season and a time for me to be reinvigorated after a long winter. The weather is nice, or at least it should be, yet it's cool enough that the insect pests are not out yet. Sure, there is also mud and rain, cold days and damp nights. However, there is always relief just ahead. I'm talking days, not weeks or months like in the winter. Autumn is also great, with much the same to offer. I suppose the only down side to Fall, is that winter will be close behind.

Even though I do not dislike winter, I cannot say I am very fond of it, either. I don't like the cold and the lack of sunshine. I'm not talking about cold as in twenty degrees and above, I don't mind some snow, and I can even enjoy many aspects of it. I'm talking of temperatures below twenty degrees, dropping down below zero, and frigid winds that make being outdoors dangerous, even life threatening if one is unprepared.

In addition to this bitter cold, the snow and ice, especially the ice, also make driving a dangerous activity. This year has been a bad one for ice storms and terrible driving conditions. Another is on it's way tonight and through the weekend. If I could stay home and not have to venture out in it, I could again enjoy these.

A warm, crackling fire, the smell of homemade soup simmering on the stove, the dogs snuggled lovingly by my feet as I read a good book, or better yet, write out a fantastic story. Snuggle time with my wife as the wind howls outside our cozy home, sheltering in each others arms as the storm rages outside. Yes, these are all enjoyable ways to spend the foulest of weather.

But, that is not the case. Often the ice and wind knock out power. There is a ton of snow to keep shoveled out as a result of the wind drifting it into the driveway, and it's a sure bet after it's cleaned out both nature and man will fill it back in. Nature's wind will blow snow back and forth, depositing it in drifts that are hard packed, and heavy anyplace and everyplace it's been shoveled out. The snow plow will also be by, working at keeping the roads clear. As he passes, the snow flows from his blade into the open end of the driveway; packed and heavy, an impassable blockade.

Why not wait till after the gale stops and the plow is done? Well, for one it is South Dakota, the wind almost always blows, so there is drifting, and the plowing never seems to be done. The drifting also, continues on for days and nights after the storm has passed. Besides, I cannot afford to wait it out, since my wife and I both have jobs to go to.

As a supervisor, I have to be able to fill in and cover if someone cannot make it to work. I can try to arrange for another to fill in, but if not, I have to go. This means I am on call, seven days a week, all day long from five in the morning until ten at night.

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free."

© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/777554-In-Need-of-Spring