*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775721-Snows-Pleasant-Surprise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#775721 added February 22, 2013 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
Snow's Pleasant Surprise
The February 22, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Describe one of your most pleasant surprises.

I have thought about this entry for several hours. I have reviewed all the pleasant surprises that I can remember and the one that stands out in my mind concerns my mother. It occurred when when we were living in the apartment on Sunrise Avenue, about two or three miles from where I am now living. I knew that Mom read the Baha'i scriptures and prayers, but it surprised me when she declared her belief in Bahá'u'lláh.

I had been a Baha'i for several years before Mom declared. Whenever she had a question, I either answered it myself or found someone who could. Whenever I answered a question for Mom, I wonder if I should ask her if she wanted to declare her faith; however, I decided that the best course of action was to pray and let Mom take her time. Anyway, one morning Mom ask me how she could become a Baha'i and I explained the process to her. Mom signed her declaration card and we went to the next nineteen day Feast together.

Mom enjoyed going to Feasts, Holy Day commemorations, and Fasting. Mom declared before she was 76 years old, so she and I both Fasted between sunup and sundown during ‘Alá’. The intriguing thing about Mom is that even after she turned 76 and was no longer required to Fast, she fasted. She finally stopped fasting when the doctor increased the medications she took. I know she missed fasting, I miss fasting, but with all the medication I am taking I cannot fast any longer. We continued going to feast until Mom started going to bed at 5:00 P.M. Some of my most precious memories are going to Feasts and Holy Days with Mom.

Thought of the Day: (From one of Mom's favorite prayers.) O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand... - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

I pick up Mama's prayer book,
wonder which one of her favorite prayers
I should intone;
then I remember
the prayer she always read
before going to work.

I open the book
to the prayers for Spiritual Growth
and intone
"O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit..."

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775721-Snows-Pleasant-Surprise