*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773157-Natural-Disasters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#773157 added January 30, 2013 at 2:01am
Restrictions: None
Natural Disasters
The January 30, 2013 for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Which natural disaster freaks you out the most?

Which natural disaster freaks me out the most? I'm not sure because the only natural disaster I've had first hand experience with is tornadoes. When I was a child a tornado struck Blackwell, Oklahoma. I'm not sure of the year, but I was in grade school at the time. We had a root cellar, so my parents and grandparents took us into the cellar. The tornado didn't do any damage on my side of town, but it devastated the side of town where grandma's sister and brother-in-law lived. It's strange, in all the years I lived in Oklahoma, which is part of Tornado Alley, I only had first hand experience with one tornado. I remember other warnings and I think I even sighted a tornado a couple of times, but the only one I ever remember touching down close to my residence was the one in Blackwell.

tornado warnings
memories from my childhood
sirens echoing

In Nevada, we have to worry more about earthquakes the tornadoes. I moved to Las Vegas some time in the 1970s, at the time I didn't realize that this was an earthquake prone area. We haven't had large earthquakes, but we have had trimmers. I've felt the trimmers. When we were living in the apartment on Sunrise, I saw the walls of my bedroom move because of an earthquake trimmer. I know that the city could be devastated by an earthquake, but it isn't something I worry about. I'd probably react the same way to tornadoes if I still lived in Oklahoma.

The thing about natural disaster's is that you can prepare for them, but you can't avoid them. You can determine an escape route, you can pack a disaster preparedness kit, and you can say prayers of protection, but you are still at the mercy of Mother Nature when it comes to natural disasters. If a natural disaster freaks a person out that person is more likely to panic. The last thing a person needs to do during a natural disaster is panic because that in itself is dangers and perhaps more dangerous then the disaster itself.

Quote of the Day: "Don't Panic.” ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773157-Natural-Disasters