*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771161-Opinion-Thursday-My-Soapbox-or-Caring-about-others
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#771161 added January 10, 2013 at 3:10pm
Restrictions: None
Opinion Thursday: My Soapbox or Caring about others
January 10, 2013 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS Gay marriage? Yes? No? Do you care? Why?


The answer to the question about gay marriage is no, but since it will probably become a law of this country my opinion in this matter does not count. When the question comes up again on the ballet in Nevada, which it inevitably will, I will (as I always do) vote my conscience. I do not care if my opinion counts on this subject because the important thing is how I treat other people whether or not I agree with who they can or cannot marry.

This is the point I step on my soapbox.


One of the problems with the world and America is that there are to damn many fanatics who do not care about others. By not caring about others, I mean that they want to push their opinion without listening to the other person's point of view. In America, it is not the opinion of the individual that wins in the voting booth, but the opinion of the majority. Once the opinion of the majority is made clear you accept it as the law of the land and you treat every human being the way you would like to be treated.

Which (to me means) that one does not tell another person that he or she is going to hell because of their sexual orientation, their religion, their color, their gender, their nationality, etc. No one, I do not care how righteous, the person believes him or herself to be knows until the moment of death what stage of the afterlife they will be in. It is true, that a person can do something in this life to help the soul ascend into paradise; one of those things is to ask questions. The Creator does not want blind followers because they too easily become fanatics and, at the very least, alienate the rest of humanity.

That said, I can now carefully step down off my soap box.


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771161-Opinion-Thursday-My-Soapbox-or-Caring-about-others