*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766081-On-the-Beaches-at-Normandy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#766081 added November 16, 2012 at 9:11am
Restrictions: None
On the Beaches at Normandy
More on visit to WW2 Invasion Beachest Type of landing craft used  in the invasion


As we were driving about the beaches and visiting the museums, we passed by this church. It was so unique in its size, shape and design that I had to get a picture and share it with everyone. I know that churches in Europe are common and after a while one gets used to them but they all have their distinct look and seem to beckon with a rich history and stories to tell.

There was a country song…. If you could read my mind… Oh what a story I could tell…” Anyway, when I saw this church that old Arlo Guthry song came to mind and it was almost as if the old edifice had a life and personality of its own. I hope I’m not boring my readers with a bunch of metaphysical nonsense but sometimes I sense a spiritual presence around old churches and cemeteries.

In the picture on the right is a landing craft. Can you imagine huddled in the ocean storm swells as these craft bobbed up and down in the ocean each with a platoons equivalent of soldiers. Can you imagine the fear, trepidation and seasickness?

Despite the complete surprise of the Germans, the losses were staggering. One stretch of beach had the Allies misfortune of being a “Training Exercise” (TE) used by a German reserve unit. Imagine their surprise when the TE turned out to be the real thing. It was here that some of the severest causalities were taken.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/766081-On-the-Beaches-at-Normandy