*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756653-When-all-else-fails-read-and-follow-the-directions
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#756653 added July 14, 2012 at 9:33am
Restrictions: None
When all else fails read and follow the directions
a muggy morning
double digit temperatures
it rained late last night


Saturday, July 14, 2012 ~ July 2012 Unofficial: FOLLOW ME BLOGGING CHALLENGE initiating entry prompt for July 14, 2012 by Prosperous Snow celebrating


On Friday, July 13, I mixed a pitcher of milk using dry milk. I remember Grandma calling it powdered milk. Grandma mixed it and used it in cooking, but we only drank it in emergencies. Both Grandma and Mom preferred us to drink milk out of a bottle or jug. I don’t know why because I would think dry milk is just as nutritious as milk from a jug. On the front of the package, it says “Instant Nonfat Dry Milk fortified with Vitamins A & D”, but perhaps when I was a child the “powdered” milk wasn’t fortified with vitamins.

Anyway, as I was saying, yesterday I decided to mix up a pitcher of powdered milk. This time I decided to follow the directions on the package. Normally, I guestimate the amount of instant milk powder I put in the pitcher. According to the directions, I mix 1 1/3 cups of dry milk with 3 ¾ cups of water in a container. The directions don’t say how large a container, but they do say that this will make approximately one quart of fluid milk.

The container I used holds two quarts of liquid. Therefore, I figured I should double the amount of powdered milk and water. I measured 2 2/3 cups of the dry milk and put them in the container (yes, I know that the directions say put the water in first). I put in the milk powder and heard Mom crying, so I went to see about her. I didn’t get back to the milk until after Mom left for the daycare center.

I measured the water into the pitcher and stirred. I had a difficult (understatement) time mixing the milk properly with out tiny chunks of powdered milk balls floating on time. Next time I will put the water in first and then the milk powder. I also found out why the milk sours in the refrigerator. Right there on the package it says “Use within 3 to 5 days”, so 6 to 10 days is obviously too long to let it sit in the refrigerator before using it.

The problem is that in order for me to drink the milk I have to mix it with something else. I can use it on cereal if I put enough sugar in the cereal, but I prefer yogurt on cereal. If I put yogurt on cereal then I don’t have to put sugar on like I do with milk. However, I have solved the problem of drinking the milk; I bought a container of chocolate malt Ovaltine. Now all I have to do is figure out how much Ovaltine in a 12 or 16 oz. glass because the directions on the Ovaltine container calls for an 8 oz. glass and due to breakage I only have 6, 12, and 16 oz. glasses in the cupboard.

EMERGENCY PROMPT: What is the weather like in your neck of the woods?

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


monsoonal moisture
morning clouds and a slight breeze
the birds are singing

© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756653-When-all-else-fails-read-and-follow-the-directions