*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753038-Grammas-are-Special
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#753038 added May 17, 2012 at 1:12pm
Restrictions: None
Grammas are Special
I knew there was a special bond between Jaden and her Nene, quite possible since the moment my mother-in-law first held my little blue-eyed baby in her arms. The long months between her visits have done nothing to diminish that bond, in fact the two of them always pick up seemingly right where they left off before. They communicate in a combination of elementary Turkish and English limited to one or two word phrases. They sing and dance and play...endlessly. Just about everything Jaden says or does evokes a barrage of cooing and kissing from her Grandmother which she accepts pretty graciously to my ceaseless amazement. I've even seen Jaden bestow more than one or two extra kisses at bedtime. Even on the mornings when Jaden heads off the school, a stop in her Nene's room before she leaves, has become part of both of their routines. Their relationship is simple, structured only by unconditional love and mutual adoration.

Last night I was watching them play together, a silly follow-the-leader type game. Jaden was mirroring my mother-in-law's marching legs and pumping arms, that was, until her Grandmother tripped and came tumbling down to the ground. Not missing a beat, Jaden threw herself down alongside her Grandmother in an exaggerated swan dive that was so dramatic that giggles instantly turned into raucous laughter. The two of them sat side by side in the driveway, their feet spayed out in front of them, their heads thrown back and bodies shaking with belly laughs...looking every bit for the moment like two crazies. It was a beautiful sight.

Grandmothers are special. They are pre-programmed to see the very best in us and they encourage and celebrate those things in every single way, in every moment of our lives. I have the most amazing Grandmother myself, she has been my kindred spirit, my best friend, my surrogate Mom. I can honestly say I am in part the person I am today because of the miraculous ways she loves me. I watch Jaden with her Nene and I am so grateful she will have the same opportunity to grow up with a grandmother who loves and cherishes her without limits.

© Copyright 2012 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753038-Grammas-are-Special