*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751550-Volcano-dam-ruins-basilica
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#751550 added April 23, 2012 at 7:49pm
Restrictions: None
Volcano, dam, ruins, basilica.
ME:

I'm supposed to tell you-all about the trip yesterday...

Wah... I don't wanna... *Frown*

The truth is it went well. *Bigsmile*

Alberth called me at 02:58; we met about 03:40 and got to the bus by 04:00. The "bus" arrived later.

15 of us crammed into a min-bus. Not comfortable.

The company "Toros" has three buses. Two were going and I'm sure the other one was more comfortable. Ack, it broke down which delayed us further. Entered the park at 09:30 when we should been there by 07:30, 08:00 at the latest.

We did stop for breakfast and to use the servicios at Chespiritas and we both had gallo pinto and maduros (ripe plaintain/plátano).

Took lots of photos through the bus window on the way up the volcano. At top took some more as we sat at the entrance (why? I dunno). Once in I marched up the hill to the lookout. Alberth is slim, trim and young. Me? Not! I couldn't huff-and-puff and explain to him why I what I was doing. Climbing at over 3.400 meters in a burning sun could give one a heart attack and I didn't want the drama.

Took photos from above but some clouds had moved in and obscured the view towards the Pacific. (Duh... beat the clouds. Reason #...). Descending past flowers that any Montanan would know (clover, hakeyes, lupine) was much easier than climbing. And ...I wasn't stressed by the time. When I visited last year, Max nearly didn't get to the bus on time (Reason #...). Also, walking with someone is better than walking alone. If I intend to climb Mt. Chirripó at 3.800 m. next year I will travel with someone (Reason #...).

So we visited the crater. I stayed near the overlook and ruins of the 1968 eruption becasue I knew better than to push myself (Reason #...)

Got a really good shot of the green waters and poor-man's-umbrella. Also took photos of some people on the ruins. Got photos of Alberth too. I don't specialize in photos of people.

Alberth gave me a chocolate bar to eat. Chocolate? Of course I said yes to çikolatali (no dot on that last "i". I couldn't find the right symbol. Joy, do you know where it is?) from Turkey.

         My friend is on his way up. I'll save and edit later...

Later... We left the volcano, avoided the cattle in the road on the way down, drove past the basilica in Cartago and went to Cachí to visit the dam. Stayed there only a short time. Saw crayfish (camarones del rio) for sale. But decided not ....I'd rather eat them cooked than as ceviche. Vendors on both sides of of the bridge. Not too wide a bridge, narrow walkway, decent barrier but my vertigo is always vigilent.

Above the dam a lake half covered with water-hyacinth. Can't imagine when they bloom in a sea of indigo. Below the dam is a gorge. Very scenic. More photos of course.

Short trip to Ujarrás where we visited the ruins of a historical church. More photos. Good place for families who want to picnic.

Then back to Cartago. Spent about an hour in the vicinity of the basilica Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles. I've been a few times but took more photos. While we were there someone was singing ...very beautiful.

Ate at a soda. Quite expensive. Then had a granizado (think shave ice, powdered milk, condensed milk, syrup). We asked for zarzaparilla (root beer). It was served with a spoon and a straw with a marshmallow on the end. Very pretty and quite good.

The ride back was much quicker (less than 2 1/2 hours) and exceept for passing an accident eventless. Back by 17:30 ...before sunset.

Absolutely bushed. Of course we still had a walk home. Alberth lives on the way about 5 minutes before my place. Got back dry and ready to go to sleep. Which I didn't. But too tired to write this up then. So... some pictures are already up on facebook. Takes time...
29.238

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751550-Volcano-dam-ruins-basilica