*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750025-Hamstrung
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1300042
All that remains: here in my afterlife as a 'mainstream' blogger, with what little I know.
#750025 added February 7, 2014 at 1:44pm
Restrictions: None
Hamstrung
My hamstring injury was worse than I thought. I was feeling the back of my thigh and it felt like someone had filled my leg with lumpy cement. I told my wife that it had been over a week since I tweaked it before she noticed the black and blue cloud that encompassed an area that spread into my upper calf.

I had been playing on it for over a week, as of last Friday, using Alleve to control the swelling and pain before I played. In fact, I took and additional tablet the last two times I played. Somewhere in the back of my head, I knew I was injured. I couldn't properly stretch, though I kept trying with no avail. In fact, that likely worsened the injury.

Now I have to rest. I think the injury comes at a time when I should wait until I have proper head gear before walking out onto that court to mix it up with the various elbows, hands and occaisional head-to-head combat. Need to protect the precious peepers.

I also need to do some physical conditioning to avoid future injuries that come from being unprepared to play a young man's brand of basketball. I had been working out with a personal trainer, almost a year ago now. I got out of the habit of training, party because I felt good enough to compete.

I also need the time to cool off, because I don't like where I went verbally the last time I played. I yelled at another player after a frustrating game where he kept harping on me. I was tired of the negativity and pointed out the need for more positivity. I may have ended up contradicting myself with my approach.

I just need to assess my situation and make another run at this thing when I'm better. I view this three-plus-year comeback to the game like taking two steps forward and one step back until I've danced my way back into the light of the old days.

I think about dunking the ball again. If I can drop the weight (again) and stay on a strict diet and regime of exercise, I might be able to pull it off. I just have to remember to prepare longer before I start play. No more waiting until the last minute to walk out of the house. Either prep for 30 minutes at home or get to the gym that much earlier so I can be ready.

I see so many older guys take their time before they play. They're in the weight room or taking their time with warm ups in the gym. They pass on early games or don't give as much effort until they are properly warmed up. Me, I'm itching to go. I don't want to miss a second. It doesn't matter if I just dropped my bag on the floor; I dig out those goggles and fumble with patella strap and bandana and race out onto the floor to calls of 'come on, let's go.'

Patience. Act my age and treat my body the way it should have been treated all my life. Let it repair and don't despair if I miss a day or a game or two. I know I'm getting older and running out of time with this limited vision. I just have to put the focus on quality of play versus quantity of time spent weaving about the gym with a bunch of discriminate young people who will only share the ball with players they trust to make the right decisions.



© Copyright 2014 Brian K Compton Tabulating (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Brian K Compton Tabulating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/750025-Hamstrung