*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/745510-This-ones-about-inexperience
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#745510 added January 24, 2012 at 11:49pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about inexperience.
THE PROMPT: "In the past few years books have been adapted into movies. Some have not lived up to their novel origins. What book adaption have you not been impressed by? If you could, would you re-film the movie? What book(s) do you think could make an impressive movie? What book(s) do you think couldn't be made into a movie, no matter what the circumstances?"

Good evening from frigid Buffalo...gimme a sec to warm up. Ok, so, I gotta tell you, I am totally unprepared for this entry. Even if I had seen it last night, I don't think that would have been enough time to gain any perspective. You see, I'm really not a movie watcher at all. I just don't have the attention span to sit in front of the tv for a couple of hours watching tv (unless it's football or hockey). In fact, during the last couple movies I've tried to watch, I've fallen asleep. And they were some funny comedies I really wanted to see *Rolleyes*. And that's the other part of this...I only like certain movies, and I only like certain books...books that don't generally get made into movies.

In my "adult life" (that term gets used very loosely}, I can name maybe 3-5 movies I can remember watching that I may have read the book also...One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and...damn, that's the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas also, but I don't recall actually seeing the movie. I know it's a growing trend though...lots of bestsellers in recent years seem to get spun onto the silver screen. I blame that ultimate tear-jerking machine, Nicholas Sparks. Whatever, Sparks. Chicks dig you and I dig chicks; otherwise, if I ever saw you at a bar or book burning event, there's gonna be a very one-sided conversation between you, me, and a cracked beer bottle. *Smirk*

I will say, however, that I did watch PJ20 recently, which is a documentary about Pearl Jam's 20-year career featuring lots of rare and unseen footage, and was accompanied by a thick, coffee table-style book of the same name that had lots of never-before-seen pictures of the band over the years. That's gotta count for something.

Also, I saw the documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, which is about an alt-country band named Wilco and their struggle to release what would become their groundbreaking album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Their story goes like this: they formed after the dissolution of two country-ish bands, and put out a couple of decent albums. They finished Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, submitted it to the major label they were on, the label rejected it, Wilco held their ground, the label dropped them completely, other labels basically engaged in a bidding war for the album, and then were signed to an offshoot of the major label that dropped them, for more money. The result? One of the best albums to come out in the 2000's, selling millions of copies. A great story. So why am I mentioning it here? A book was released that briefly detailed a history of the band, and then really went on to tell the story of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Not exactly a companion piece, but two mediums paralleling the same story. That's gotta count too.

What I'd love to see are more documentaries about bands and musicians like this, with companion-type books that go along with the movie. Not just some concert dvd, but a fresher, behind-the-scenes look. Nine Inch Nails maybe? The Deftones have a good story that could use this treatment. How about The Beastie Boys also, with their book The Skills To Pay The Bills? Public Enemy has a book about their history, Don't Rhyme For The Sake Of Riddlin', which could be turned into a stunning documentary...c'mon, that group needs something that can transcend anything Flavor Flav has done since his reality tv show, Flavor of Love. And while Radiohead's Meeting People Is Easy is an interesting and very well-produced dvd about a pivotable time for the band, a corresponding book would've been a really nice added touch.

My best take on all of this? Atmosphere released a cd a few years back titled When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold. If you purchased the deluxe version for a few dollars more, you got the cd with a hardcover, short childrens story complete with illustrations. I won't give away the entire story, but the title of the cd is the moral to the story.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Here's a few songs that correlate to this entry... I left off The Deftones and Nine Inch Nails because they don't have definitive books and/or movies out (yet).

Pearl Jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3HInbSDdk8

Wilco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72cQZeTbxQ

Radiohead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQhgdVsuI4

Beastie Boys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHUSxV9-V2g

Public Enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM&ob=av2e

Atmosphere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8zwE3qkhTA

VITAL STATS:

*Music2* Final thoughts on this... Add Nirvana to the list as well...and don't feed me the trashy bio-pics or anything that just focuses on Kurt Cobain. Those don't count. And Wilco made another movie, which was more of a concert than anything, but they did put out a book for the making YTF's follow-up, A Ghost Is Born, title The Wilco Book, and it included a cd of demos. It was pretty nice.

*Pencil* Julie D - PUBLISHED! appears to be back from her little hiatus...anyone else notice their inbox all taken up by Julie comments? *Laugh* Just kiddin' Julie, we know it's a busy time of year for you, and we appreciate any time you have for us. *Smile*

That said, I'm gonna bust outta here a little early...kind of a boring day anyway. But we'll do it again tomorrow, right? Cool. Peace, and I'll see ya then. GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MjWBInGZ0&feature=related

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/745510-This-ones-about-inexperience