*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744987-Justified
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#744987 added January 19, 2012 at 9:57am
Restrictions: None
Justified

My wife Linda is from Atlanta. I attended a Military College in Georgia. I will tell you that there are some bigtime differences in the culture in Georgia and the One Here in Wisconsin.

My wife loves the TV Drama, Justified with Timothy Olyphant. What the writers have done is a particularly good job capturing are many of the nuances of life in the south as opposed to other parts of the country. These nuances are expressed in the casting of the characters and the way they speak and interact.

For example there is a scene where the family of Boyd Crowder, the local drug cartel, is trying to sell some spoiled Marijuana to a dealer from Memphis. Representing the Local Cartel is Ava and this skinny little guy. The Memphis buyer is backing out of the deal because the pot is essentially spoiled and the skinny guy is indignant because he assumed they had a sale. Ava tries to be the peacemaker and has a conversation with the Memphis buyer distinctly different from her partner. In it we see a polite exchange that is gender induced between Ava and the buyer interspersed by one of hostility, and implied threats with her cohort. It was one of those scenes where the viewer gets wide eyed and says “Oh my Gosh…I have seen those types of conversations myself….and it wasn’t up North.”

Then there is Mags Bennett, an enigmatic old woman who is a local Dixie Mafia leader. She is a charming terror who has her bad dude sons living in mortal dread. She often appears so empathetic and normal, while hiding a side to her character that is dark indeed. What is unnerving is that this woman is another one of those characters that resonates as someone we have all seen before.

This is an exceptional series, going into its third season and it is fun to sit back and quietly watch the reruns and soak up all that good stuff that was in some of the missed episodes or overlooked in others.


© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744987-Justified