*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732919-Trying-out-laptops
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1592786
A place for writing off-the-cuff
#732919 added September 1, 2011 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
Trying out laptops
This morning I'm babysitting a friend's baby. He's napping, so I'm taking this opportunity to try out my friend's laptop. I'm in the market to buy one, my first ever. I know, right? And since I have decided to save the money first and buy with cash in hand (what a concept!), I have a couple more weeks to investigate the types of machines on the market and make an informed decision before handing over my money.

I'm typing today on a Gateway. It looks like a 15.6" screen, but I'm not sure. The size of the keyboard is nice, comfortable. There's a nine-key number pad to the right of the regular keyboard. I like that. One of the reasons I don't want a netbook is the small keyboard with only number keys along the top.

I want a dual-core processor, i3 or i5, 500-640 GB hard drive, with at least 4 GB of installed ram. I feel anything less than those stipulations will warrant a slower machine than I want. Of course, I don't pretend to understand most of what's on these computer sales stickers, these days. However, I have been doing my homework, as best as a left-brained creative like me can!

So far, I've been typing at a desk, but I have my friend's permission to unplug this bad boy and use it elsewhere in the house. So I think I'll head off to the couch, see what that's like. Better save my work first........

Okay, I'm back. Greetings from the couch, haha!

Things coming right to mind:

This thing is sort of heavy. I wonder what it weighs? I have the laptop on my thighs, as I sit with my back supported by pillows against the arm and my legs extended along the seat. It's pressing a bit into my legs right above my knees. I think, maybe, after a while like this, it'd really start to become uncomfortable. Machines I've been looking at claim they weigh about 4.5 lbs. I wonder how they compare to this one?

I'm also noticing the heat on my legs from the bottom of the laptop. It isn't uncomfortable, but it is warm. In the winter, this would be really nice! But, I wonder how hot it gets?

I do like this keyboard. My typing speed is improving as this post gets longer. These keys are not completely flat; they are slightly raised up. My friend tells me her husband's Toshiba has very flat keys that she can't get used to. (Hmm...his laptop is sitting right over there...maybe I'll give that keyboard a spin in a minute!)

I'm certain I'll want a wireless mouse, because these laptop mouse plate-things are the bane of my laptop experience. What a pain in the arse! Of course, I believe any time you encounter a new computer, one you aren't used to using, you have to go through a period of adjustment. And I could get used to anything...

Well, I've babbled on enough here. When my friend returns, coiffed and gorgeous, I may run to Best Buy and try out some more laptops. Wish I could buy today! But, that stash of cash isn't quite big enough. Patience!!

Until later, have a fab day, all!

© Copyright 2011 NickiD89 (UN: heftynicki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NickiD89 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732919-Trying-out-laptops