*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729316-Summer-Swelter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#729316 added July 21, 2011 at 12:33pm
Restrictions: None
Summer Swelter
The whole outside is sweltering.
Last night I awoke shortly after 2am to find the laboring bedroom fan had been insufficient in beating back the heat. I shut the windows and cranked the AC. I lay back down and waited for the chilly fingers of refrigerated air to crawl over my damp skin. Within moments the temperature had dropped to a more comfortable level and within half an hour, the bedroom was cold enough to prompt me to pull the summer comforter over both Fatih and Jaden, who was snoring away between us.
I hate these humid days, when the air is oppressive and you can do little but rush from one air-conditioned space to another. These days you sweat simply by standing still and even the water from the hose fails to refresh your sun-baked skin.
There are so many projects to be done around the house but this is hardly the weather to rip up carpeting or paint, or repair the mortar and brick work. I’m trying not to think about that and simply rejoice in the fact that Fatih has taken the lead with getting the playroom completed and yard work done. He has been a determined and fearless force lately in turning our big rundown old house into something we can be proud of. Owning a home circa 1930’s has not been the romantic adventure I had thought it would be when I first purchased it. I still love our home’s character but it is harder to see the potential past the peeling ceiling paint, sagging windows and aging furnace. At least there is a fenced in yard for Jaden and the dogs to romp around in and a nice open air porch to enjoy the occasional breeze or to watch the sudden summer thunderstorms. For now, I’m grateful to have a place to call home, a place where my daughter has her own space and an open and unending source of home improvement projects to inspire us and keep us busy.


© Copyright 2011 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729316-Summer-Swelter