*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729070-This-ones-about-books-and-jobs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#729070 added July 19, 2011 at 11:59am
Restrictions: None
This one's about books and jobs.
Good morning...I'm sure most of you in the reading/writing community have already heard the sad news, but I'll share:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43797505/ns/business-consumer_news/?gt1=43001

That's right. Borders is closing its doors for good. *Frown*

Most of you will remember that I spent time at Waldenbooks and Borders as a second job. But it wasn't. See, many people work two jobs. They have their full-time job, and their "second job". I put that in quotes cuz they rarely care so much about their second job as much as they do their main gig. To most, it's just extra pocket money and who gives a damn about the work. But to me, it was more of a way to supplement my income, and at one time, actually earn some income.

But I took it as a learning experience. I never was the most voracious reader, but Waldenbooks and Borders got me back into reading. That was before I understood the elements of "Big Box Retailing" and what that all meant. I also didn't know that Waldenbooks and Borders were related...Waldenbooks was just a tiny store in the mall, while Borders was this giant bookstore across the street.

I learned a lot about retail and life from that company. I worked there twice, and both times it was in what I guess you could say "transitional" periods of my life. Both times, I met a lot of great people, read a few books I loved, and never felt like I was "working", even though I did my fair share of stocking and dealt with the usual retail rifraff and undesireabilty. I actually reapplied around last year's holiday season, and was considering it again after Jess the CWC went there last month and saw a "help wanted" sign".

Some people get a second job just to piss all over it for a paycheck. I got one because I was interested in something they had to offer. Not too many people take semi-management positions as a second job when their primary job is semi-management. I got lucky. I had my position at Walgreens, which I loved as the Head Photo Specialist, and was also a keyholder for Borders. I worked about 60 hours a week, but I loved it. I really did.

These days, I'm looking for a second job again to flesh out my income. I do well as a Store Team Lead at Walgreens, but I want more money, and am willing to do extra work. Do I want to get promoted to Assistant Manager? No...not yet. I did that before for another corporation and I wasn't ready. Chasing $$ leads you to missing happiness sometimes. As far as opportunities go, there's a pizza place down the street we frequent that's looking for a driver. My schedule has opened up and I think I might go for it now...but why? Cuz I like pizza? Or I like money? Do I really have the same heart for the job when I'm not delivering, and I'm stuck cleaning up and earning minimum wage? It's not like books and the engagement provided by interested parties. It's food and grease and tips on occasion. I really have to wrap my head around that.

On the bright side, I was pissed that Borders didn't have what I was looking for on Sunday when I went there, and the guy trying to help me was kind of a douche. I wanted to use my 30% off coupon that expired Monday as a gift for someone, but I couldn't remember my username and password. Oddly enough, for a company that's closing their doors and liquidating, they sent me another 30% off coupon. I was able to recoup my sign-on and password, and made my purchase. Aces for this guy *Smirk*!! I just can't believe that after all the bs we went through when our store closed, that they're shuttering all of them.

It's sad.

VITAL STATS:

*Bullet* Two entries in a few days....still...creepers gonna creep.

*Bullet* Trying to figure out a way to work still. As much as I'm dying for a day off, I know if I can make it through tonight, tomorrow might be so much sweeter having the day to myself. But I'd love tonight off coupled with tomorrow. My vacation time can't come soon enough.

*Bullet* "I should just sit on the couch and read a book or two"... My unofficial send-off to Borders, and your song for today. Lots of lyrically creative images in this song. Many things can be considered a job in life...relationships, work, friendships...what constitutes fun more than a hobby? I'd love to write what I want and get paid for it. But I'll settle for a steady paycheck in this economy for now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15RZ5j0CNrc

Have a good day everybody...it's time to nap this one out.

© Copyright 2011 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729070-This-ones-about-books-and-jobs