*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714412-The-End
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#714412 added December 31, 2010 at 2:46pm
Restrictions: None
The End
... of the year.

Every year, around this time, I think, "Wow. Next year has GOT to be better." And every year, I'm proven wrong.

But you know what? In spite of my wife leaving, and having little to no work at work, and not having been published...

2010 was still a pretty good year. I finally got to do some traveling I'd been meaning to do, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I were still with the wife and if I had a lot of work - I've often complained that if I have too much work to do, I don't have time to travel, but if I don't have enough work to do, I need to be looking for more work instead of traveling. Well, I finally broke out of that cycle, and ran around anyway. I saw BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ and Merry Mumsy (both multiple times) and finally met Storm Machine in person. I went to Seattle and Vancouver and Cedar Rapids and Columbus and Wilmington, DE and San Francisco and Las Fucking Vegas, not to mention destinations right here in VA. I went to northern New Jersey (the non-ugly section) to meet Dar*Heart*Williams. I've enjoyed the trips, except for the airport security thing.

And I'll be doing more in 2011.

2010 was also the Year of the Gadget for me. Never been much of a gadget hound, but this year I acquired a Kindle, an iPod touch, a GPS, and a few other toys. And you know what? They say that acquiring "stuff" doesn't fulfill you. Bullshit. I'm pretty fucking fulfilled right now! Gadgets are cool!

This year, I learned how to play guitar. Still learning, of course - but making progress.

And y'all already know about most of the concerts. This year, I came to the conclusion that the times in my life when I've been happiest has been at musical events. So Tuesday, at the Gogol Bordello show, I pushed myself out into the mosh pit and got close enough to touch the band. It was awesome. I was the oldest guy in the pit... which, as my friend pointed out, made me the coolest guy in the pit.

And tonight, after meeting up with ten of my friends, both old and new, for dinner, I'll be headed for the last concert of the year: Cracker and Southern Culture on the Skids. And that'll be it for this year.

2010 kinda rocked, actually.

So, no, 2011 does NOT "have" to be better. It could, in fact, be far, far worse.

I'll just expect that, then... that way, I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Happy New Year to all my readers (thanks, both of you), from one cynical bastard!

© Copyright 2010 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714412-The-End