*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714358-True-Typical-Love-Story-TTLS-Chapter-6---Ice-Cream-Truck
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by xcvxz
Rated: 18+ · Book · LGBTQ+ · #1736941
A story of 4 high school students and how they fall in love in some of the hardest times.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#714358 added December 30, 2010 at 6:24pm
Restrictions: None
True Typical Love Story (TTLS) Chapter 6 - Ice Cream Truck
True Typical Love Story
Chapter 6
Ice Cream Truck


It was a blazing hot summer day, September 20, the ice cream truck seem to had caught all four of the students’ attentions. The blissful tune of children’s music blasted throughout the neighborhood, kids everywhere squeeled when playing with their abundance of water guns and silly string. Saturdays were always very similar with much glee in the air. Such a ritual was surely a sight to behold.
         
“Hey…Alyx,” Jamie Dahl poked her older sister Alyx while they were eating breakfast.
         
“It’s been such a long time since we spent any time together! Remember when we were younger and ate at the ice cream truck?” Alyx smiled, her nearly snow-white hair fell over her right eye as she put the dirty dishes into the sink.
         
“It has been a while since we’ve been outside,” Alyx looked at the time. 9:35 am. “Do you mind if I treat you to an ice cream cone before mom wakes…”
         
Before Alyx could finish her sentence Jamie was putting on her flip-flops and scrambled to the garage.
         “Come on slow poke! You offered!”
Alyx chu
ckled and ran behind her sister. The ice cream truck could barley be heard in the distance and that was obviously the place Jamie would lead Alyx.

~~~
~~
~


Ring-Ring. The alarm clock sounded off. “Mara, wake up sweetie! It’s 8:40.” Mara Chanbleton climbed out of her bed and made her way to the kitchen downstairs where her two dads were fixing a feast. Eggs, pancakes, waffles, bacon, ham, you name it, was on the serving platter.
         
For a moment Mara thought she was being rewarded for grades or something so didn’t complain until she noticed the calendar on the refrigerator.
         
“Today’s Saturday,” She began, “Today’s the tournament…” Not really caring she began fixing her plate.
         
“Yep,” Joe started while pouring coffee, “We’re both very proud of you!” Sam patted his husband’s shoulders and went in for a slight peck.
         
“The tournament starts at 3:30. Do you want us to come and practice with you today?”
         
Mara stopped to think, slowly shoving a piece of bacon in her mouth. Damn, could her dads cook when they wanted to.
         
“No, I think I’ll be fine by myself. Thanks for the offer though, you guys.” She just smiled and they finished the meal with other general conversation. On the surface they wouldn’t look like such a functional family but they were filled with love and understanding.
         
“Thanks daddy, pops. That was the most delicious meal I’ll ever have in this house.” She laughed slightly and took her dishes to the dishwasher, earning a playful glare from her fathers.

         “Well I’m out you guys,” She called out while putting her basketball in her bag than going upstairs to get dressed.
         
It was 9:30 and Mara was on her way to the community basketball court. Being one of the best players around had its advantages. All the kids loved her and constantly wanted to play.
It was scorching outside; sweat was again forming on her brow. Mara was dying for something to help cool off.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” A familiar voice was heard from and overhead speaker. “We’ve got treats, treats for FREE! Yes it’s ‘Yummy in the Tummy’ day at ‘The Truck’! Come by and try out our newest desserts! Mention Dylan called ya, haha!”
A slight grin grew on Mara’s face and she began to hear the child’s jingle play and jogged towards that direction.

“Come on, Alyx! Let’s go!” Was called out fallowed by a slight giggle. Mara’s attention was taken immediately from the truck as the unique chuckle rang from the same general direction. Then she saw her.

“Wow…” Was all Mara could utter as she stopped dead in her tracks, letting her belongings fall onto the pavement. There stood a petite girl. A gradient, glowing smile on her face, she was wearing a light green floral skirt which went down to her knees, showing off her pale yet beautifully shaped legs. The mysterious girl, or Alyx, had a face similar to one of some sort of ice goddess.

Her features were small yet distinct, like the rest of the girl’s body.  Her hair was slightly flipped up and almost reached her shoulders. To Mara she was and would be the most gorgeous being on the planet while her voice was like a chorus of angels. Very clique but it was the truth. Too bad Mara had no clue what she had in store with the innocent girl.
The duo continued walking in the direction while Chanbleton fallowed helplessly behind like an abandoned puppy.

~~~
~~
~


Nefarious seemed to enjoy watching the outside world crash and fall all around him rather than be apart of it. Watching the kids play out side he started to think, ‘what is this god-awful music?’

As it seemed to get closer Nefarious kept looking around as if searching for keys that he knew were gone forever as the kids outside began to go absolutely nuts as the ice cream truck pulled up to the curb. He could see both the neighbors Alyx and her sister going up to it waiting behind everyone else who seemed to want ice cream on the 85 degree day.
Nefarious was thinking to himself, ‘If I don’t go everyone will think I’m an absolute freak… Not like they don’t already.’

  On that note he walked out the door.

~~~
~~
~


The sound of the ice cream truck made Devin fly out of his bed causing the entire house to shake. Thinking to himself ‘I haven’t eaten breakfast. Might as well try some ice cream.’
While running out of the door he noticed he wasn’t the only person who had the idea of going out for ice cream, realizing every kid in the neighborhood was out for ice cream. As the ice cream truck pulled up to the curb everyone came together in a big pile, overwhelming Dylan.
“QUIET! Now lets try to make an orderly line.” Dylan yelled with his loud obnoxious voice that contained its distinct crackle.

Alyx recognized the voice and remembered immediately who the old man was in the truck so the sisters decided to push through everyone just to talk to Dylan first.

“Ex-Excuse me…” Alyx stuttered, trying to fallow behind her rambunctious sister. The line seemed to continuously grow even more and the Dahl sisters were drifting farther apart.
Looking down, afraid to step on anyone’s feet, Alyx quickened her pace until she hit something tall and large.

“Hey! Be carefu…” Devin Jacobson stared down bitterly at the girl.
“Ah-A…I’m sorry…uhm…”

“Now you’re stalking me OCD? It’s not like you don’t make my life hell every day as it is.” He pushed her slightly away as he moved forward in line.

“I-I never even t-talk to you…” Alyx spit out attempting to push back at the jock.
“Shut up. I’ve heard the rumors you’ve said about me. They’re spreading around the whole
school”

“B-But… No, I haven’t done any thing…”

Devin snickered, “Please. Save the drama, bitch.” He walked forward but turned around slightly and extended his foot slightly so Alyx tripped as she attempted getting by.

Mara watched from a distance, terrified and confused. Was that guy her boyfriend? She just fell and no one was helping her! That bastard. Mara knew she couldn’t stand him at that very moment.

Carefully making her way over to the girl, Mara glared suspiciously at Devin. When nearing feet from Alyx, Mara stopped, even more star-struck by her beauty than before.

“Uh…W-Wow…C-Can I get up you? Help? Uh, no… No… I mean he-help you get up?” She barley muttered, reaching her severely shaking hand down towards the misfortune girl. 

A little hesitant at first, Alyx shyly smiled and accepted the…(awkward?) girl’s offer.

“Not to come off as rude… but are you okay?” Alyx asked smiling slightly, somewhat irritated.

Her voice is even more soothing when I’m closer. I wonder what it would feel like if she whispered in my… no; I’m straight…Look at her boyfriend. He’s cute I guess? But still an
ass. Mara thought.

Alyx was looking up at Mara who suddenly blushed, grinned a cocky smile, looked at Devin curiously, and then glared at the jerk 

“Y-Yeah I’m just a little nervous for a basketball tourney today. Please excuse me.” She strolled over to Devin and shoved him slightly.

“Hey. Did you push her down just now?” She pointed towards Alyx. “Because if you did I might just have to take you out.” She stood up on the tip of her feet and got inches from his
face, practically snarling. Alyx stared in complete awe as the event came into place.

“Hello, Mara.” A new voice calls out before Mara had a chance to attack Devin. She pushed
him again and turned around.

“Oh! Hi there, Nefarious! What’s up?” A short teen with midnight black hair appeared. Devin turned his head, scratching his head slightly.

Dylan looked frustrated. “Son, son… Yo dudeee!  What would you like?”

“Eh? Oh anything would be fine. Just… Do you know who those people are?” He angled his
head towards Mara and Nefarious.

“Ah, that little girl there is named Mara! I took her to school around a week ago. Nice girl!”

“Well she nearly bit my nose off… What about the other guy? Talking to her?”

Dylan’s facial expression morphed from enthusiasm to pure bitterness.

“That kid. Hah, I have no clue. Never comes out of his house or something. Must have been
the first time that bastard child has been outside in his life.”

Devin looked shocked at the comment, but whatever, it wasn’t his place to speak anyway.

“Well, have a nice day I guess.” He called as he walked away with two sea-salt ice cream
cones.

“Holy shit this is delicious…” The jock called out loud to no one in particular. He was walking
aimlessly to his house until he tripped over something and one of the cones was launched out of his hand. An awkward chuckle escaped from a person’s mouth.

“It’s not every day I get covered in ice cream.” Nefarious confronted Devin.  Looking down
upon Nefarious, Devin didn’t even recall ever seeing that person in the neighborhood.

To Devin he sounded particularly gay so he asked, “Uhm I-I’m sorry for the whole ice cream
thing but, uh, can I ask who you are?”

Nefarious, slightly laughing at that point, replied, “Heheh, It’s fine. I’ll clean it later I guess and
I’m Nefarious, nice to meet you.” He reached his hand out looking for a formal handshake.

Devin just stared blankly at it, repulsed as if he was asked to pick up shit up with his hands.
It was a new concept to him. No one ever reached out their hand to welcome him so he tried
to do the same by attempting to intertwine their fingers together as if he was trying to hold it.
Nefarious blurted out in hysterics.

“What’s so funny faggot?” Devin yelled, not knowing what else to do. He began to release
Nefarious’s hand before he spoke out.

“Hahahaha, Y-You’re not supposed to hold my hand like that silly! Has anyone given you a
handshake before?”

“W-Well no… Can I ask what’s a handshake?”

“Wow, I’m sorry but that’s entertaining on its own.”

“Then teach me.” Reaching out his right hand once more, Nefarious tried to ease Devin into
the new concept. Devin mirrored the motion ever so slowly and took a deep breath.

“Now what?” Devin asked nervously, cautiously trying to repeat Nefarious in his movements
until Nefarious said,

“There you got it now. Feel happy, you learned something new on a Saturday.”

Disgusted at the comment, Devin attempted to reply in the nicest way possible, “Thank you,”
while noticing that the two girls Alyx and Mara had been watching and laughing.

Blushing now, Devin just sat along side Nefarious, and asked him a few simple questions.
The typical ‘What’s up’, small talk for the most part until he heard the truck engine start up as
Dylan spoke into the intercom.

“Well it’s time I moved on to a different part of the neighborhood! It was nice seeing you again
Mara!” Dylan paused and motioned for Devin to come to the entrance of the truck.

“I warned you kid, stay away from that boy.” With that the man ruffled his hair and departed
from the curb originally filled with delighted children.

Mara waved to the truck franticly, jumping up and down with her basketball bag on her
shoulder. She smiled down at Alyx who was watching her in confusion and Mara looked away
in embarrassment.

“What is it?”

Alyx shook her head and laughed quietly. “It’s nothing! You just reminded me of my sister
when she was about six.”

Mara wasn’t sure whether to take that as a complement or an insult but before she could
respond an alarm sounded off in her pocket. Her phone read 10:10. She had been late and
needed to get back to her house and prepare for the basketball games.

“Oh crap… H-Hey I have to go back home. I have a tournament, basketball; today and I can’t
miss it… Oh I told you already.”

Alyx nodded her head, showing she understood. “Okay. Well it was nice being acquainted to
you Mar…” She called out to the girl who already began sprinting to the direction of her street.

“O…M…G,” Jamie returned, smirking mischievously but Alyx was too occupied to wonder, or
even care, where she had been all this time.

“Devin Jacobson is soooooo hawt!” She let out a loud squeal, which seemed to attract Alyx’s
attention as well as the neighborhood dogs.

“Oh… Sure I suppose. Hey we should get back to mom before she goes to radiation.”

Jamie agreed and began talking about Devin’s ass or something but Alyx was too distracted
with the day’s events to really focus on what she was saying.

“Hey Alyx.” Someone called out to her. It was Nefarious who was holding her wallet that must
have fallen when she was on the ground.

“You seem to have dropped this,” He held out the wallet that she kindly accepted. “Oh! Thank
you very much, Nefarious.” They both smiled while Nefarious held out a piece of paper
discovered in his pocket.

“I don’t believe we go to the same school but you seem like the only down to earth person
around. Here’s my number. Feel free to text or call.”

The intriguing boy turned around and left back to Devin.

“And wow, his chest is so large and strong! Think about how big and thick he is down…” And
again Alyx tuned out her sister and walked down the street with a satisfied grin on her face.



Nefarious caught up with Devin who was curiously examining his hands, trying to discover
how to shake successfully. It was a very confusing gesture.

The two spent the rest of the afternoon chatting aimlessly. Nefarious seemed very
homosexual but that surprisingly didn’t affect Devin at all. The boy went to Castle View, quite
far from Rock Canyon, and he was apparently a talented musician.

“So you play cello? That’s pretty sick. You should play for me sometimes!”

“I would love too… But only on one condition! I have to watch you play a game one day.”

Devin hesitated for a moment but agreed and sealed it with a smile. At that moment the two
knew they just made a very close friend.
© Copyright 2010 xcvxz (UN: khaokitty at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
xcvxz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714358-True-Typical-Love-Story-TTLS-Chapter-6---Ice-Cream-Truck