*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713559-What-I-learned
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#713559 added December 13, 2010 at 8:56pm
Restrictions: None
What I learned
Journal Entry 8: What I learned
In Turning on the Light
Written in March 2010


Word count: 545

The most important thing I learned was strategies to overcome writer’s block. I liked the idea of the self-dialogue, the list and committing to complete everything I start. I have started to keep a list of ideas for writing articles, poems and stories.

I found the writing assignments most enjoyable. I also like the journal entries. I think the reason I found the writing assignments and journal entries so enjoyable was that they help me focus on the specific causes of writer’s block on a personal level.

One of the things I found most useful was a daily writing routine. Sometimes this is difficult because of interruptions and doctors appointments. However, I find that if I commit to writing each day then I can find time to write even if it is different from the time I get most of my ideas. By taking a pen and paper journal with me everywhere I go, I can jot down ideas I need to remember and even begin a poem or story while I am waiting in the queue.

I did not find anything that was the least useful. Most of the suggestions I can use at different times. Instead of getting in a rut and risking an attack of writer’s block, I can go back to the list of items I discovered in this class and try one or two of them at different times.

I liked this process because it gave me strategies to overcome writer’s block and it revealed why I get writer’s block. Lately I have concluded that writer’s block is an illness and that needs a certain type of medication to cure. The cure is different for each writer’s because the cause of writer’s block is individual to each writer, but in the end, the writer must write. I am not sure I explained that well, this concept of writer’s block being an illness is something I am going to have to work on and write more about.

I can incorporate what I learned in your future writing projects by reviewing the notes I took on the reading assignments. I can also review the writing and journal entries for writing ideas. I begin each day with prayer and then attempt to write something. Sometimes the only thing I write is haiku or an entry in Writing My Spiritual Journey, but I do write everyday.

Lately, I have begun keeping an open document loaded into the word-processing program I use. This lets me write between household chores and other duties. I do attempt to write at least 500 words a day, even though I have set a higher daily goal. Sometime it is difficult to write more then 500 words. Sometimes 500 words a day is difficult, but if I have a minimum and maximum word count goal then I know that I will at least achieve the minimum. Sometimes I achieve the minimum word count goal through several different blog entries.

Since the first quarter of 2010 is almost over, I am reviewing my accomplishments. I do not think I will change anything, all though I may try different writing times during the day. I do know I am going to be doing some of the ideas from my writing ideas list.




© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713559-What-I-learned