*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709097-Blood-Moon
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#709097 added October 22, 2010 at 9:48pm
Restrictions: None
Blood Moon
It's not generally known, but the Full Moon in any particular month is known by a name.

Perhaps the most famous of these is the Harvest Moon, which we were fortunate to have coincide with the Fall Equinox this year - only a few hours apart.

But the Blood Moon is important, too, being the first full moon after the Harvest Moon.

I've heard that it's called such (it's also known as Hunter's Moon, but that name isn't as cool) because it is in October that our ancestors would look at their flocks, make a determination as to how many of them they could feed through the upcoming winter - and butcher the rest, ensuring a sufficient supply of meat over the winter months while optimizing the survival of the bulk of the flock, or herd, or whatever.

It's October, and there's a chill in the air. The other night, for the first time this fall, I saw Orion. Tonight, the moon became full, and it was the Blood Moon.

Winter is coming.

© Copyright 2010 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709097-Blood-Moon