*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703144-Prolouge
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1696019
As our parents grew weaker, we grew stronger. All we wanted was to live...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#703144 added August 24, 2010 at 2:12am
Restrictions: None
Prolouge
“Willow!” Rebecca shaded her eyes from the sun, panic swirling through her thoughts. “Willow, you need to come now!” Relief surged through her as she saw her four-year old daughter appear at the side of the house, from the backyard where she’d been playing. Her white skin gleamed in the sunlight as she skipped towards Rebecca, one hand clutching the side of her blue dress while the other held a doll to her chest. “Can’t I just stay a little while longer, mummy?” She asked, widening her blue eyes with their silver ring into a pleading look.

“No, sweetie, we don’t have time.” Rebecca hurried forward, picking up Willow and running back to the car. Trent appeared in the doorway, the front door slamming behind him as he headed for the car, carrying the few belongings they could take with them.

“Did you get food? Clothes? What about a tent, where are we going to sleep?” Rebecca asked as they climbed into the car, strapping Willow into her seat.

“I’ve got food.”

As the car pulled away from the house, Willow twisted her head, watching it disappear. “Mummy, when are we coming back?”

“Ssh, Willow, not now. Well, what did you pack? And where are we going to go? I mean, the highways are going to have checkpoints, right? How are we going to get past the checkpoints?”

Willow glanced down at the doll she had carried from the backyard and gently smoothed down the blonde hair. “I hope it’s soon. Jeanine will miss all the other dolls. Maybe we could go back for them?” She glanced up hopefully than sighed slightly when she got no reply, turning back to her doll.

Trent gripped the steering wheel, a worried frown on his face. “I packed blankets, warmer clothes. Mostly food – I don’t know what’s going to be out there. As for checkpoints, if we head down Morice, we should be able to pull off before a checkpoint. It’ll take a while but there’s a back route we can take.”

“What, across Mr Whirler’s land? He’d never let Genetics pass.”

“He’s got a cattle drive across there which is unlocked. Hopefully the police haven’t gotten that organized yet. After all, the announcement only went out this morning.”

Rebecca glanced back at Willow, than lowered her voice. “Trent… about the announcement…”

“Honey, we discussed this-“ Trent began.

“I know, but…” Rebecca felt tears well up in her eyes. “They did say it was for our own safety, I mean all those poor Genetics that were killed… and if we don’t go in, we’ll become fugitives. Even if we do get to this cabin, what then?”

“Look, Rebecca, I know you’re scared. I am too. But this is the best thing for us, and for Willow. What if…” He glanced back at their daughter, than continued quietly, “What if they found out? Or worse, what if they saw her… you know. How long would they let her stay with us? I mean, you heard all the stories. Pure’s taken away because of what they are…”

Rebecca nodded, reaching up to wipe tears from her eyes. “I know, Trent-“

“Besides,” he continued quietly, “they're trying to pass that new law. It would give them the right to execute all Genetics."

“You don’t think…” Rebecca’s eyes widened. “You don’t think they’d pass it, do you?”

“No. I don’t think the worlds there yet – there are still a lot of human rights getting debated right now. But I think the fact that someone even suggested a law like that says where this is headed, don’t you? Its bad enough we're all supposed to become prisoners. And if they do pass it, if that law becomes a reality, I don’t want us to be locked up in prison like cattle for slaughter.”

“Okay,” Rebecca whispered, leaning her head against the headrest. “I trust your judgement.”

“We’ll be safe at the cabin,” Trent said softly as they pulled off the highway onto a small dirt road. “At least for now,” he said, too low for her to her it. “At least for now…”

© Copyright 2010 _Random_ (UN: ali.fraser at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
_Random_ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/703144-Prolouge