*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701720-Not-that-much-new
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1008111
My attempt to Journal in public- I may get shy or not. Let's see.
#701720 added July 17, 2010 at 11:10am
Restrictions: None
Not that much new
Here we go with a new blog post. I am kind of wondering what might be interesting or appropriate. Ok, I don't live all that intriguing a life... or so I think. I am just going to work, coming home, watching weeds grow in my tomato patch... then I find myself watching almost ripe tomatoes disappear from the vines, overnight. It is the most bizarre thing I am noticing so far. Yes, squash vine borers wiped out much of my squash/zucchini harvest before it got going good, but the tomatoes are in a different catagory of bizarre.

It seems that the local population of gray squirrels have developed a taste for vine almost ripened tomatoes. Never mind all those nice acorns from the huge oak tree in the back yard... those are so last fall. Now, here are these nice big juicy red things with seeds inside... darn you guys! Leave the tomatoes alone! Ok, take the ones close to the ground, you already have anyway, just, please, leave me the upper ones. I don't care if you guys have, maybe, 1 or 2 out of ten... but you have that ratio backwards. I am only getting about 2 out of 10... and only IF I get out there before the things are ripe.

At some point, I am going to have to take sterner measures. I might have to build huge cages around the plants to keep the critters out. One of my neighbors has one of those traps that captures the little guys live... I am not sure what happens after he gets them...or if he even does... but I can't see killing them or taking the gas and time to re-locate them. So, I am stuck and frustrated. I may have to plant so many plants next year that I don't care... we'll see. At least I don't have to worry about any tomatoes going to waste.

© Copyright 2010 thatBobguy (UN: bobwatkins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thatBobguy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/701720-Not-that-much-new