*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688061-Sad-Thing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1631466
"Still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise."
#688061 added February 20, 2010 at 5:08am
Restrictions: None
Sad Thing
((The Music))
This is one of those perfect songs for a rainy day. The song is simple and haunting. Basic acoustics with a female singer who has a pure voice not muddled by needless vocalization. I hate that to no end. This song isn't like that at all. A little melancholy, sure. Pure of soul, absolutely. The band has a name I probably wouldn't have picked for myself - Adult Child - but beggars can't be choosers. Best bet to hear this would be Playlist.com as it is an import.

((The Life))
Today was one of those days that you can't help but look back on it and smile at how history has a tendency to repeat itself. What makes you smile is the little things we take for granted, only to have the come back and realize why we didn't miss them in the first place.

Last weekend was my eldest brother and his wife's 10th anniversary. Big milestone, especially in this day and age. Because of work and a huge surfing competition they couldn't really do anything on the day. This weekend however worked out well for their schedule, so the Munchkin and I decided to look after the Munchkinette.

The first thing my niece does as she walks into the door is plop down on floor and bemoan the fact that she has homework. Being nine is such a trying time. No one seems to understand. (<---sarcasm, in case you were wondering)

She has to write a small paper and give an oral presentation on Monday, which, and I quote, is the pits. Its the basic assignment we all got in the fourth grade, helping us to improve our presentation skills. She's in agony, and I remember that feeling all too well, lol. I also remember wanting to go back to that time. Imagine what I could do with the knowledge I have now back then.

No way I would go back now.

A nice dose of full circle realization came because I'm currently working on a paper due next Tuesday for my Anthropology class. I'm writing a summary ethnography about the Wahki and the Kirghiz of Afghanistan. Hers is the basic biography of someone who impacted American history. The niece picked a biography of Evelyn Cisneros.

I offered a trade in assignments. Graciously, she declined.

So tomorrow (later on today) I've offered my services on tips on how to impress the teacher while not throwing up in front of her class. We'll be going over note card writing and timing her presentation. I should mention this is her first time speaking in front of a crowd. When I absently commented that this would continue throughout her class days through high school her eyes nearly exploded in horror. My mom wanted to take a picture for posterity.

It is hard to believe that a little over a decade ago was having the same problems. My older brother offer advice in the form of referred pain. Never quite worked the way I had hoped. Over the course of many speeches I've learned to delay mortification until after the speech is over. Then, in the comfort of some small confined space I can freak out to my heart's content.

I think I'll hold that piece of advice back until later. *Wink*

© Copyright 2010 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688061-Sad-Thing