*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687969-February-Blogdown-Entry-Day-4-Feb-18
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#687969 added February 19, 2010 at 10:35am
Restrictions: None
February Blogdown Entry Day 4: Feb. 18
Select one current issue (an event, an ongoing need such as health-care, anything that has current relevance-may be local, national, global.PLEASE no religious or political or ethnic bashing! Just discuss both sides of the issue/event/process and if possible, offer up some solutions. For example: on health care, you might suggest possible outcomes, mention the duration of the problem (years, decades, etc.). You don't have to choose this issue-I'm making an example. Up to you!


The issue in Nevada is balancing the budget, in fact, the governor has called a special session of the legislature to discuss balancing the budget and the cuts required to do that. Budget cuts have already occurred in education, senior service, health care, etc. However, they weren’t enough to balance the budget. During the special session, the only thing the legislatures can discuses is the governor’s proposal.

The governor has asked for a further 10% cut across the board. The recent focus is the further cuts the governor has asked in education. The cuts affect all levels of education, but the cut in kindergarten through 12th grade means fewer teachers and educational material.

There are other suggestions on ways to balance the budget. One of them has to do with collecting uncollected taxes from business such as mining. Mining is a large industry in Nevada and many citizens feel that the industry isn’t paying its fair share. The mining industry disagrees with this viewpoint.

The problem is, with the mining issue and this applies to all the suggestions about balancing the budget, you never hear anything except voices of the two sides of the issue. There doesn’t seem to be any voices in the middle ground suggesting compromises between the opposing views. Compromise doesn’t appear to be an option.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687969-February-Blogdown-Entry-Day-4-Feb-18