*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660948-In-the-News
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#660948 added July 26, 2009 at 9:11pm
Restrictions: None
In the News
      2009 is the anniversary of a few events. Anne Frank was born in 1929 in the Netherlands, so that she would be 80 this summer. Her diary has been read by millions over the decades. Germany invaded Poland in 1939, the beginning of World War II for most people, and the beginning of the Holocaust. And Alaska joined the union in 1959, making it 50 years old as a state. All are noteworthy events.

      Wouldn't universal health care be nice? All people, regardless of ability to pay, would have quality treatment when needed. I don't think it will ever happen. But it's a nice dream. The government has its hand in too many things already.

      We need standards in our communities and some assurance of safety. That's why we have building codes and building inspectors. Ever built a house or commercial building? Then you've experienced lengthy waiting for the government employee to make approvals before construction can continue. So many people I've known who had to keep delaying a moving date, month after month, while officials took their time getting to a site for an inspection. The inspector has to justify his job by finding as much wrong as possible, then back to square one, and keep getting put-off for a follow-up inspection.

      Anytime the bureaucrats get involved, there are lengthy delays. And they shouldn't be making decisions about your or my health and the treatments. Some bureaucrats are just plain difficult, or persnickety. Many are good people but have their hands tied by the system and can't do what they would like. But if you've ever applied, or know someone who has applied, for social services, or disability, or medicaid, you know the inequity of the system. Someone who is genuinely ill and suffering gets turned down, while others with a lot less wrong with them are approved. Do we really want those kind of decision makers deciding who gets surgery, or chemo, or therapy? The government doesn't need to be in the medical business.

    On a lighter note, I saw the wedding march from the Internet that made all the news shows this weekend. I started smiling as soon as it started. You can't help it. It looked like fun, it was entertaining, and it was contagious. The spirit seemed to catch everyone in attendance. What a joyous and fun way to start a married life. And the fact that so many people have watched it. It will a memory in their old age. And it's probably the beginning of a new fad.

© Copyright 2009 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/660948-In-the-News