*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/659361-Okay-Im-back-Im-back
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#659361 added July 16, 2009 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
Okay... I'm back, I'm back!
Yep. Back home sweet home. Where Montanans roam (saw one already *Smirk*). And the keyboard of my computer doesn't confuse me.

LAX isn't fun at night. E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g is closed. McDonald's opened up at 5 a.m. and offers the cheapest food. I managed to get through customs, get through the night, my friend Hobie was even waiting for me at the airport here. I hit the sack around 7 p.m.

Next time I'll be checking into whether there is a hostel close with a shuttle (and cheap... about $20/night). Someone traveling from NZ to Nashville mentioned it but didn't have the name.

Traveling alone has its downside. The lonely traveler has to be super-vigilant. Vigilance = nerves-on-alert. My nerves are bad and this isn't good. That and the steep learning curve makes for rough moments.

Traveling means new foods, new toilets, new showers, new schedule, new money, new buses, new directions, new words...

1. Foods = all types of fruit drinks. The "daily plate" of rice, beans, vegetables. It is cheaper to eat like the local folks. I ate little and was seldom hungry.

2. Toilets. Mostly the same; but toilet seat? Not always. And one may have to pay (about 20¢). TP? Surprisingly there was. But... one doesn't flush it down the toilet.

3. Showers. Electric overhead that one does not touch. Turn on the water slowly. If lucky you'll get a lukewarm shower. Tubs are not common.

4. Schedule. Whatever your personal schedule it'll change. I was up around 7, even earlier. Sunset is 6. Like in 6:00.00000. Actually not; but, the point is... there is no gloaming, no after-the-sunset light. Want to get something done? Morning. By afternoon it may be pouring. Night? You'll be going to bed earlier than normal.

5. Money. Here in Montana, I know what a $5 or $20 will get me. There? ¢10.000 should get a hotel room. I found one in Turrialba for ¢4.000. ¢2.000 can get you a nice casado (plate of the day). ¢195 might get you across the city on a bus. It's important to know without having to stress out over what things cost in $.

6. (with apologies to Da Queen) Buses. Surprisingly good. For some intercity buses you'll need a ticket. Others not. Which means get in line early or you'll be standing. On a trip up a mountain road this leaves something to be desired. Buses leave from designated places that the locals know. Your tour book may or may not be correct. Ticos live on tico-time. But... the bus to Tierra Blanca is punctual as are many others.

7. Directions. Ronald told me to take a taxi and tell the driver to leave me off at the offices of another taxi company (conveniently across the entrance to his condo). Addresses? Forget that! Landmarks are used that may or may not exist that are well-know reference points... unknown to you. *Shock*

8. Words. I heard certain expressions because I was prepared. I strongly suggest knowing the language. Strongly. Even halting language can open doors as arrogance is not a virtue among kind and humble people. I still don't know how chorreado or pinolillo translate into English; but I like my coffee chorreado and pinolillo is a drink like horchata.

So... hopefully back to boring entries and my poetic sketches soon. I wrote some in Spanish and have part of Trash.3 done (July 13th).

I'll have time to read blogs too. I considered the two weeks as a kind of vacation. *Smile*

Montana: cool and sunny morning.
16,116

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/659361-Okay-Im-back-Im-back