*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/658527-Sylvia-The-Spider
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#658527 added July 10, 2009 at 10:37am
Restrictions: None
Sylvia, The Spider
There's a little black spider hanging out a corner of my bedroom. She's quiet, content, and doesn't move around a lot which works well for me. In my ever-expanding life of sleeplessness, I've decided to call her Sylvia. Don't ask me why, it just fits.

The whole naming insects thing dates back to when I was a itsy-bitsy girl. A neighbor of mine told that if I named the spiders and other crawly things I came across that the fear I felt would simply vanish. It took a while for the ritual to unfold, but lo and behold, naming the little suckers started to work. Now I name them out of habit.

Its rather odd, but I don't kill them unless its absolutely necessary. For example, should Sylvia decide to creep over to the corner over my bed and decide to set up shop, we'd have a serious problem. The average American eats eight spiders in their sleep per year. I'd like to be obvious to that number by cutting down on the chances.

Paranoid? Sure, but it works for me.

I give Sylvia two more weeks before she moves on to greener pastures and better pickings food wise. Still, having her around has given me a weird sense of companionship. We're both the quiet, librarian type. And I have a feeling she has a back history somewhat close to mine. It'll be a shame when she moves on.

And no, I'm not entirely sure I'm not losing my mind.


© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/658527-Sylvia-The-Spider