*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/654053-Mayan-Kampf
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#654053 added June 11, 2009 at 11:25am
Restrictions: None
Mayan Kampf
I gotta link a Cracked article again.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17445_6-best-2012-apocalypse-theories-are-all-bul...

The 6 Best 2012 Apocalypse Theories (Are All Bullshit)

You may have noticed a recent trend of trying to fit every hackneyed doomsday prophecy into the same red-letter year of 2012. The theories are obtuse, their connections are flimsy and the perceived consequences are completely unsubstantiated.

Unsurprisingly, these prophecies are enormously popular.


I'll be honest: I love conspiracy and eschatology theories. They're one of my primary forms of entertainment, behind baiting creationists and looking for sources of schadenfreude.

Entertainment. This means I don't take them seriously. I just like trying to force my mind into the pretzel logic that most conspiracy theories require.

Oh, one thing. Remember Cracked is a comedy site. Don't get scientific information from them. From the article:

As for the winter solstice thing, that's just when the Sun is at its greatest distance from Earth.

Actually, in the northern hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs near perihelion (closest approach to sun). The winter solstice is because the north pole points further from the sun, decreasing the angle of the sun's rays impacting Earth, and shortening the days. I'm sure you already know this, but just in case there are people who actually believe theories of eschatology out there, I thought I'd set the record straight. Axial tilt is the reason for the season!

Our poles shifting because the Sun is aligned with the center of the Milky Way makes about as much scientific sense as saying you shouldn't drive at sunset because your car might crash into the sun.

I did that once. Hot.

© Copyright 2009 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/654053-Mayan-Kampf