*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653987-Youre-Doing-It-Right
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#653987 added June 10, 2009 at 8:07pm
Restrictions: None
You're Doing It Right
If you're here, you're smarter.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-05/brain-gain

New Evidence Suggests That Using the Internet Might Make You Smarter, Not Rot Your Brain

Bonus: "This is your brain / This is your brain on the internet" graphic

"The simple headline here is that Google is making us smarter," says Gary Small of the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at the University of California at Los Angeles. Thank you, Dr. Small. And thank you, Internet, for not only helping me dig up this information but also juicing up my brain while I looked for it. Small recently published results showing that searching the Internet does for the brains of older folks what doing bench presses does for chest muscles.

Except - really, really major difference here - the internet has NEVER, EVER made my brain hurt so much that I couldn't think for a week. Bench presses, on the other hand...

Anyway, yeah, I know that the study is really inconclusive. Doesn't control for enough variables, sensationalizes, etc. But until I have definitive evidence otherwise, I'll go with "I'm smarter because I spend most of my time on the internet." I like that conclusion better than the other.

Now, go search for something, and Get Smart!

© Copyright 2009 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/653987-Youre-Doing-It-Right