*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/652743-If-One-Paddles-A-Red-Canoe-At-Night
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1552956
Thinking Out Loud
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#652743 added June 2, 2009 at 4:20am
Restrictions: None
If One Paddles A Red Canoe At Night.....
..... When It Is Too Dark To See, Is It Still Red?
I just got back from some time up at the cottage with my husband, Wayne. The kids were supposed to come up with the grandparents on the weekend, but the forecast of rain scared Grandpa into staying home, so it was just Wayner and I – a treat I gladly accepted.
The forecast wasn’t far off. It rained most days we were there, however it came as a surprise to all when the snow and hail fell out of the sky on Sunday. Neither stayed long on the ground, but it was bizarre seeing the humming birds fight against the blowing snow to remain hovered at the feeder. We ARE coming into June aren't we? Summer is in how many days?!
The stormy day ended with a particularly calm evening, that inspired me to take the canoe out for an evening adventure. The lake was smooth and mirrored the clearing sky that was blotchy only by a few remaining clouds. The tired sun disappeared behind the western most pines, as I grabbed my fishing rod and climbed into my red canoe. I wondered if it was too late to be setting out across the bay, but I went anyways and reached the other side within minutes.
I put out my fishing line (even though it is out of season for most fish) and caught the tiniest bass ever. He was so cute, with big round eyes - almost Disney'ish the way he looked at me and didn't fuss or struggle, as I pulled the hook out of his lip and dropped him back in the lake. His tail lapped the surface only a couple times and he was gone, disappearing into the inky black water.
The afterglow lasted much longer than I expected. I assume it was my eyes that were adjusting to the low light, but night eventually settled in and the loons began to call. I even heard some coyotes get all roused up in the distance.
I noticed our cottage lights come on across the bay. Wayne must have thought I'd need them. We have lights that light up the seventy-two stairs that climb up from the lake to the cottage. The fallen pine needles glow orange from the light and always make it look so pretty.
The only other inhabited cottage also lit up within the pines on the island between us. It's light flickered off the surface of the water, as though purposefully laying down a glowing orange path to safely guide me home.
Back at the dock I realized the hem of my pants were wet around my ankles from the residual rain still pooling in my canoe, but the crackling fire once inside the cottage, dried and warmed me up soon enough.
I can't believe how much I can sleep up there - eleven hours last night. Sinful!



"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

© Copyright 2009 prospexi (UN: prospexi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
prospexi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/652743-If-One-Paddles-A-Red-Canoe-At-Night