*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651120-If-you-cant-cut-the-mustard-get-the-F-off-my-hot-dog
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1562055
A Saskatchewan take on cooking at its best!
#651120 added May 22, 2009 at 3:28pm
Restrictions: None
If you can't cut the mustard get the F*#$ off my hot dog
So this one is about my dad, he doesn’t mind if I use his name or inform people of whom he is and how he ticks so that’s that. He is quite a man and has helped and taught me as well as a lot of other people and cooks the behind the scenes jam of kitchen work. The stuff they don’t teach you in school that are a fundamental part of the job but never talked about. An example is the whole process of kitchen manipulation, you know, getting the job done wile getting the job done. He is a true pioneer of this teaching and you can deny it all you want but it’s just as important as the basics of prep or even a well bodied stalk. Being able to control your staff and efficiently accomplish everything without having to do it your self is in the top few issues of a professionally run kitchen brigade.
He is also a funny as hell ass hole but that’s beside the point. Here we go…

         Randy (my dad) is running a small buffet house in Prince Albert. Freshly in the position he has cleaned out the slackers afraid of change and structure so is now hiring. A man walks in with an arrogant stature; this guy begins to talk the talk with one of the greatest judges of kitchen character to work in the province. Like I said he can talk the talk and wins Randy over in the first few minutes. The agreement they come to is a ruff base of around 14-15 dollars an hour. The first statement to come out of Randy’s mouth regarding wage is “I’ll pay you what you’re worth witch, if you’re as good as you sound will be around 14-15 dollars.”  That said the starting day will be after the weekend.
         The guy eventually starts and over the next few weeks convinces Randy that regardless of his persona this guy absolutely cannot cut the mustard. Half assed work, irregular punctuality, lack of knowledge, no eyes for detail, sloppy presentation and a serious lack of desire and passion placed this guy under the guillotine within the first few days. Randy sometimes gets a soft spot for personality and this guy had that so Randy doesn’t want to ax him publically or professionally. Upon reviewing he decides to pay the guy what he is worth and commits the knowledge to payroll.
         After the two weeks was up there is now a paycheck for him and like nothing the guy opens it up to what I would probably consider to be a serious letdown. The guy, upset, approaches Randy and confronts him about the small compensation for his incredible double week of work. The confrontation went something like this.
         “Randy. I thought we said I was making $15 an hour. This says I’m only getting minimum wage.” Randy no doubt smirks in line of the confrontation and full heartedly proceeds with the decided plan.
         “Well, I didn’t say $15 I told you I would pay you what you were worth. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to go lower than minimum wage so you lucked out there bud.” In full grin now He waits for this to sink in the mind of the challenger.
         “Fuck you man.” Not being able to hold a strait face now Randy watches as the cook slowly cracks with anger and retreats to never be seen again.
         Man my dad’s an asshole but at least he does it for a laugh, right. 

© Copyright 2009 James Write's (UN: jamesrkyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
James Write's has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/651120-If-you-cant-cut-the-mustard-get-the-F-off-my-hot-dog