*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644359-Times-be-changing-Object-of-the-artists-affection
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#644359 added April 8, 2009 at 12:33pm
Restrictions: None
Times be changing. Object of the artist's affection
Times be changing. Yep. In spite of a sense that nothing changes, the world does not remain in stasis. It may be slow from our personal ephemeral perspective, but change comes regardless. When it is precipitous, like in war or accidental death of a loved one, we notice it. But all the insurance on the planet will not change one fact: change is always coming.

Object of the artist's affection

I bear your bruises:
plum and yellow,
thick black welts.
Wrenched from an upright easel,
placed horizontal on a shelf.

Banged          from wall          to wall.

My scrapes of skin, my mended tears
hanged,
made public.
Oh, the oohs and aahs the patrons utter
attracted to Abstraction #4
they do not share with me.
Instead, they grimace at the plaque
below my numb misshapen form:
Distraction #3.
They never ask my proper name; it's
Ricky.

© 2009 Kåre Enga [166.7] 2009-03-25

Note: thinking of my ekphrastic art class, in this case the artist who assaults the canvas like a gang-banger. Originally the last line was Chloe, changed it to Howie, but I wanted something more ambiguous. Leslie seemed too "adult". Ricky will do until I find something better. It's in my poetry-book if you want to comment on it directly: "166.7 Object of the artist's affection.

blah-blah-BLAH-blah-blah:



Monday: Went to class on ekphrastic poetry and had a good time. There were 7 of us; I'm thrilled! What's this about women and poetry though? I'm the only man. Are men afraid of poetry? Do women feel an obligation to learn it? It is so nice to take a class outside of the university; most UM MFA students are not as serious about poetry as I am; this is a school of Story-Tellers, both short fiction and novels. Totally different beastie.

Tuesday: The Vermont override of the Gov's veto on marriage overwhelmed me for some reason and I'll have to write about that elsewhere when I sort out the emotions. Additionally: Vermont and Iowa marriages will be recognized in DC and Japan. It is interesting how the landscape tilts at times. Difficult and emotional for everyone on both sides of the issue. Only those who don't care are seemingly unaffected.

So, anyhoo, Trish and I went for a walk up Waterworks Hill and I saw small pink flowers in bloom. I suspect they are phlox. The birds were singing and the Mountain Bluebirds were everywhere. That surprised me. First time I'd seen one, but I knew exactly what it was. My body does not like the effort of walking uphill, so I need to do this more often. Every day would be smart ... *Rolleyes*.

Walked to Freaky Farms to get milk and folks were outside and flowers are blooming. The chinodoxia has started. Hit 69 degrees yesterday and today it will be mild again.

WATT'S GNU'S:

"The state House on Thursday voted narrowly to make New Hampshire the third state to allow gay couples to marry." Opening sentence of an article dated March 26th. (Remember March 26th? It was soooooo long ago.) Well, New Hampshire, ya lost yer chance. If y'all hurry ya might be #5. *Smirk*

*Flower2* *Flower4* *Flower4* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower4* *Flower2*

Montana: *Smile* 45º at 10:00

chinodoxia grape hyacinth iris daffodils iris crocus hyacinth dandelion bluebird
13,661

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644359-Times-be-changing-Object-of-the-artists-affection