*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643312-Smug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#643312 added April 1, 2009 at 7:48pm
Restrictions: None
Smug as a bug in a rug
Things I have done that make me feel smug

*Note* I took over the finances back in the fall. They are in much better shape than they were. I paid off two credit cards and got caught up on several things we were behind on. This month, we actually had some extra money.

*Note* My mother's dog keeps biting her on the hand. He did it again Friday. Her hand is swelled up and she had to take antibiotics. She won't do anything to him for biting her. That's not what makes me feel smug, this is: he bit me one day when she had asked me to dog-sit while she wasn't there. I took care of the problem, and he doesn't so much as breathe loud when I'm around. I'm a big dog lover, always have been . . . except for this dog. If you see a black poodle sailing over your house, you'll know he bit me again and I knocked hell out of him.

*Note* My assistant is always bragging on how well she copes with our students. Don't get me wrong, I like my assistant, but this IS something she does. Every time I'm out, she brags on how well the classes behave in the library, even the ones that usually try to act up, with the implication that she gets them to act much better than I do. She got to bragging this morning on how well she gets along with our obnoxious fifth-graders. So, I decided to let her put her money where her mouth is. A notoriously talkative fifth-grade class came in today - or I should say, they CAN be talkative, but not in the library most of the time because we make them keep a lid on it. Once I passed out the work and got them working on it, I got in the background with my mouth shut and let her handle it, which is something I don't usually do. They were much louder than when I stay on them. I hope this shuts her up on the bragging.

*Note* Emily is eleven. Puberty is around the corner. I had a minor version of "the talk" with her, the one about becoming a woman. I don't think I did a bad job. It was uncomfortable as all get out, but I have found that with sensitive things it is best to present it matter-of-factly, not as if there is anything to be embarrassed about.

*Note* I've started eating vegetables, even the ones I don't like. I ate a bunch of broccoli the other day. Well, a bunch for me is about five stalks. I'm also back to taking vitamins - a multi, and a Vitamin C. Plus I bought some V-8 juice, which, oddly enough, I love. It's the only vegetabley thing that I do like. It's surprising what a difference it makes - I have energy coming out my ears.

© Copyright 2009 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643312-Smug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug