*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641187-Ripples-In-The-Water
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1478547
"All books are either dreams or swords."
#641187 added March 19, 2009 at 10:59am
Restrictions: None
Ripples In The Water
Water has always been a part of my life. My mother likes to reminisce with strangers and family alike about my earliest experiences with water. It was one of the few things that calmed me down when I was cranky. Still is. There is something about the feel of water against my skin or the sound of waves crashing and rain falling from the sky that brings all chaos to a standstill for me.

Recently, my insomnia has taken a weird turn at the corner of Strangeville. I simply can't sleep anymore except in two hour bursts once a day, and the sleep I do achieve is less than restful. I don't mind. If I can keep my wits about me, my body functioning properly, and my sarcasm on full alert then I'm cool. And when the body starts to fatigue while the mind races a mile a minute I just hop into the shower and let my mind off the leash.

In this last visit to the shower (about twenty minutes ago) I started contemplating what I'm going to do next here on WDC. My whirlwind weekend with being accepted in the Rising Star Program and becoming a Preferred Author still has me in a state of shock. But I realized that I want to expand my writing horizons in the next few months. I want to push myself past the comfort zone. Sure, its safe where I am right now, but nothing can truly happen if you stand on the sidelines forever. So, as the cool water poured down my head, I started to plan.

The biggest thing I want to tackle is the novella/short story project I've had rattling in my brain for over a year now. In total there is far more novella projects going on, but I figure I'd start with one then work my way through the others. I need a starting point, and I need it soon. The deadline for the first piece done is by the end of the month. With luck, lots and lots of luck, I can have a very rough draft done by my WDC account birthday.

Washing from head to toe, I ran the tidbits of my character through my brain like a movie. The project is more a collection of short stories based around one central character. It'll span one year in her life facing different, difficult, everyday problems. But I want each short to be a stand alone, and relate to her without having to go back to previous stories to figure out what the hell is going on. I'm shooting for funny-realistic-gut wrenching themes instead of the usual stuff I've been reading.

I closed my eyes and let the water run over me. I had the skeleton of my plan. Now all I need is the meat, which will take mucho time...something I don't necessarily have a lot of. My family is on the brink of something like always. My classes are reaching their crescendos soon with four papers looming in my future. My life and love are approaching critical points. Something, eventually, will have to give.

But not right now for the waters have soothed me. And I've got a plan. *Smirk*

© Copyright 2009 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641187-Ripples-In-The-Water