*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640652-Yellow-The-Ides-of-Buttercups-for-Partyof5
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#640652 added March 16, 2009 at 12:31pm
Restrictions: None
Yellow. The Ides of Buttercups (for Partyof5)
What is yellow? To me it defines the word sunny. Like ShellySunshine . *Bigsmile* But in certain contexts it carries the burden of coward, jaundiced or dying of thirst. In the language of flowers it can even mean 'drop dead'; although I prefer the more modern, 'be my friend'. My favorite colors are green and orange; when it comes to roses, give me yellow ones. My father liked yellow. He was yellow! Sunny, cheerful, shone on a cloudy day without saying a word (I'm the chatty one in the family *Smile*).

But to me yellow also means the hypericum blooming in front of our childhood house. It is the color of wild iris, summer marigold, the flight of autumn goldfinch, the color of buttercups blooming in the lawn in early Spring.

Ides of buttercups

         for David

This Ides of March: tips of tulips point straight up,
orange barriers no longer block the cold stone paths.
Mount Jumbo's meadows beckon David back.

The elk have wandered off to other pastures,
and now the buttercups await the rain
and the jock-from-Jocko Valley's touch.
The mountain's flowers welcome David back.

Light snowdust frosts the balding top,
the slopes thirst leaf-fall beige and brown,
ponderosa pines stand green and quiet,
"Climb up child", cries the sky and ground.

But while tips of valley tulips reach for sun
on top, the buttercups will yawn at dawn,
open golden arms to David, "welcome back".

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.490] 2009-03-15

Written while at the "Second Wind" reading. I noticed the orange barriers on Jumbo were gone, the date (the ides of March), remembered that partyof5 always mentions buttercups; he grew up in the Jocko Valley, just north of here.

blah-blah-blah-blah-blah:

Saturday afternoon: Da Lady Griz! They won and will go to the NCAA tournament. Free throws saved them again. They hit the first 15 in a row! Ended up 24 of 27. Most men's teams don't even come close ... ever.

Saturday night? *Confused*

Sunday: Worked on poems: "Aegean aesthetics", "Bead Man", "Emily and the wooden houses", "Viridescence". Someday you'll be able to read them. *Smile* But ... first ... I submitted them to a local contest and I've learned that there is no way I can share even a copy. If someone else puts it on line, it is considered published by some folks. So, I wait till late April. Lots of submissions and the categories were fiction and non-fiction, so they may not even want them.

Went with Myrt to the International Fair at the university and bought me some limpa (Swedish rye). Also got some Irish shepherd's pie, spanakopita, and a spring roll. 'Twas all good. Saw a couple of friends, but mostly it was just great to unwind.

Sunday evening: "Second Wind" was much better this time (at least for me). Two women read one series of poems as a duet. Nicely done.

MILLSTONES and MILESTONES:

4 poems submitted as a group! Still working on poems for Camas. *Frown* Nearing the end of the year 165. I'm closing in on sketch goals; my journal is a tad short; my submissions? Nyet.

quote for the day

Behold a beautiful garden full of flowers, shrubs, and trees. Each flower has a different charm, a peculiar beauty, its own delicious perfume and beautiful colour. The trees too, how varied are they in size, in growth, in foliage—and what different fruits they bear! Yet all these flowers, shrubs and trees spring from the self-same earth, the same sun shines upon them and the same clouds give them rain. ~ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

from Paris Talks

*Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2* *Flower2*

Montana: *Snow2* 35º at 9:00

buttercups
13,012

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640652-Yellow-The-Ides-of-Buttercups-for-Partyof5