*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637347-Weighty-Matters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#637347 added February 23, 2009 at 5:35pm
Restrictions: None
Weighty Matters
19. I'm a good cook. Too good, in fact; I've had to stop so I can try to lose some weight.

Yeah, so I took a posting break.

Anyway, yeah, cooking. Thing is, I mostly enjoy cooking. And while I don't especially enjoy cleaning up afterward, I don't hate it, either.

But I tell you what - I've been fighting this weight loss thing for so long now that I hardly remember what it's like NOT to fight it.

Being a guy, though, I'm not supposed to talk about it, let alone WHINE about it. But here I am, doing that.

Here's the thing: I don't believe in deprivation. I'm a hedonist, at base. I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy eating - not necessarily what I cook, but a good meal. I do NOT enjoy exercising, though it has its benefits (besides the weight thing). So it was inevitable that I gain weight.

I have lost some. But to do it, I had to go against everything I truly believe in. I don't think I'd enjoy being thin, per se - though the health benefits are something I'd like to achieve - but I sure do enjoy sensory input.

So, as with many things in my life, I'm on the verge of saying, "Fuck it."

Oh, and this link doesn't really have anything to do with any of the above - but it does point out how some things that you think are good for you... really aren't.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17084_5-ways-people-are-trying-save-world-that-do...

5 Ways People Are Trying to Save the World (That Don't Work)

Between the hybrids, the reusable canvas shopping bags and cloth diapers, everybody's doing their little bit to save the world. Entire industries have sprang up to cater to us socially-responsible types who want to leave behind a better world for the robots to inherit once they take over.

But, most of the time, making you feel better is about all it does. For instance...

© Copyright 2009 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637347-Weighty-Matters