*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/635774-Elysium
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#635774 added February 14, 2009 at 2:48pm
Restrictions: None
Elysium
Elysium

         for Hanniah

In this Greek paradise of phyllo and spinach,
this inhale of thin sliced gyros,
the slick of olive,

I'd say prayers to Zeus, to Hera, to whoevuh
designed the pita, played kithara,
first brined the feta.

I'd hail to antiquity with modern vibes,
a scale of Mediterranean blues
on white on blue on white.

And I'd savor the elixir of orchard and vine,
toast to honeyed goddesses
of loukoumades ; then,

twirl in a trance for the love of loukoumi
even endure the taunts of
"Eisai megalos loukoumas!"

In this paradise of sweetness, I would ask for nothing else.

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.441] 2009-02-11

I was at The Break. I wanted to write (I'm behind in reaching my goals). I asked Hanniah for a prompt. She gave me: elysium. Now my first interior response was "what the hell am I going to do with that". But I sat down and thought of the Greek restaurant I went to a month ago and sketched out the above. Today I entered those notes "#1 Gyros, added memories of other Greek foods I love and then revised "Elysium".

I like the tranquility of this Greek music and dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL-XRsKSSjY&feature=related

blah blaah blaaah:


I managed to get out to watch "The Pope's Toilet" (film from Uruguay) and have some coffee. I noted that the actors were probably speaking a dialect called fronterizo which is a mix of Spanish and Brazilian. It is set in Melo, which is on the border.

Saw Myrt at lunch; she has this cold too; but, word is that a lot of folks in town have one at the moment.

Got a chance to be barked at, sniffed, licked while walking around land mines on Jacob's Island Bark Park yesterday. Took some photos of ice, the Van Buren bridge, mountains.

NOT GOOD GNU'S:

Of the crash victims in Buffalo, I may have met Susann Wehle, as she was involved in interfaith work as was I.

Susan Wehle, 55, cantor at Temple Beth Am, Amherst, was returning home from a vacation in Costa Rica. The daughter of Holocaust survivors, Wehle was a cantorial soloist at Temple Sinai in Amherst for nearly 10 years before joining Temple Beth Am in 2002. She has two sons, Jonah and Jake.

The Buffalo News reports that a family of Irish dancers were stunned with the news as that was their original flight connection from Shannon; but, they took an earlier flight when it became available. I guess the phone ringing with frantic text messages from Ireland at 5 am will wake you up to turn on the news and ...

IMAGINE THIS:

Mandy sent out this picture "Invalid Item. Even though I don't have any reason to celebrate Valentine's Day it put a smile on my face:

** Image ID #1528593 Unavailable **

May the skies you fly always be this peaceful.

Montana: *Smile* 22º at 10:00
11,964

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/635774-Elysium