*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634885-The-breakup-of-the-Ice-Queen-and-her-consort
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#634885 added February 9, 2009 at 1:33pm
Restrictions: None
The breakup of the Ice Queen and her consort
The breakup of the Ice Queen and her consort

She was Blackfoot, exploring upper canyons that dropped from snow-bound heights; he blew in on southern winds and went by the name of Clark. They met where two rivers joined where Milltown once sat.

She wore her cloak of ice; showed him who was boss. She hadn't come this far to
hear his tales of woe, of loss. Without the means to survive without her, he consented to follow her at all costs.

The huddled to warm each other in the shadows of the pine-clad mountains while the days grew short. With nothing to gather but dried out berries, they fought off eagles for fish and hawks that thought them carrion. They ignored ghosts that walked through Milltown.

Come late winter they gained strength enough to bind logs caught on sand bars, enough to go by raft down through looming mountains, through the jaws of Hell's Gate. They left when the river began to run; once, in the valley opening before them, they were blinded by sun.

And broke apart. He wanted to explore the other side of mountains. Now in enemy territory she knew she'd have to return somehow and looked up the Rattlesnake with remorse. He spoke of the flats laid out before him, the glistening peaks beyond and his wandering heart.

The Ice Queen listened and melted for just one moment ... and then left Clark.

ice swirls
caught in eddies
slap, slap, slap against shore
with the return of sun and warmth
break free

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.437] 2009-02-09

I was watching the ice flow down the Clark Fork river. Milltown, Hellgate canyon, the Blackfoot and Rattlesnake are all familiar landmarks here. Since these places are actual words that have other meanings I'm hoping it can be appreciated by folks who aren't from here. Vaguely sketched on paper then composed on-line. Set in the future with echoes from the past.

Blah blah blah:


Yesterday was very pleasant. Went for a walk and managed to miss stepping in dog poop or puddles of mud or falling on ice. The sunshine was great. "Slap slap slap of water on ice

Today dawned white.

Quite a surprise after the clear skies and full moon on the walk back last night. Around 8 pm. thin clouds passed over and the halo around the moon glowed faint orange. I tried to get a photo of the moon dog.

I went to 'Second Wind' yester-after-noon at Zootown Brew. Two presentations of short stories (one by a student). Very well done. Although ...

After, I managed to write a postcard to a friend (a cat in a beret with a baguette spreading crumbs for the birds ... *Smile*); wrote in my journal.

After Saturday's trip I didn't have the urge to go much of anywhere.

PROMPTS FOR THE DAY:

Betties and fundies. Think of the various meanings of Betty/betty and what fundies may be. Let your mind wander down strange roads that lead to cliffs that you drive off of like Thelma and Louise (hell, put them in the story too); spread you wings and soar.

Tomorrow, I'll provide links [if you have an idea where I'm going with this ... well, it's far beyond that] and the poem I wrote (it's GC so I may put it elsewhere and link here).

Montana: 27º at 10:00
11,746

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634885-The-breakup-of-the-Ice-Queen-and-her-consort