*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634284-Stalking-the-wild-haggis
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#634284 added February 6, 2009 at 5:58pm
Restrictions: None
Stalking the wild haggis
Stalking the wild haggis

He climbed the slopes of Arthur's Seat in winter, huddled in a summer cave to hide from sun. He was so young and not-too-bright they said. He craved the season of neeps and tatties, growing in his garden patch, stored them in the dirt with his hidden stash of moss and rocks and feathers at the back of the cave. He never finished learning two plus two, yearning instead to stalk the wild haggis, how and low come icy blast or snow. Each year in January he'd saunter off to town to celebrate the victory of others, smarter, quicker, wielding knives to sacrifice the haggis they had caught, intoning words of Burns that burned into his skull. Perhaps next year, he sighed, I'll bag the biggest of them all.

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.428] 2009-01-30

Best described as a prose-poem, methinks. Anyhoo, looking forward to comments by Scots. *Smirk* The prompt was stalking the wild haggis.

Blah Blah Blah:


I had a great time with friends last night talking about 1. weather, 2. fascism and 3. breasts.

3. By-the-way: it IS legal to go naked in Montana as long as there is nothing 'sexual' about it. (prove that or try to disprove that *Rolleyes*) However, nude beaches (like Red Rocks in the Blackfoot) are disappearing as folks have been increasingly harassed in Montana over this.

2. Brian suggested reading American Fascists by Chris Hedges. Brian does not think fascism is going away just because Obama was elected and he believes homosexuals are the preferred scapegoat.

1. Supercells in Kansas and Oklahoma, microbursts in Montana, rain recorded in the hundredths of an inch in this semi-desert, lack of wind and poor air-quality here. Get above the inversion they all say (yeah, and guess who doesn't have a car).

I have three geranium flowers in bloom (not flowerheads, flowers! *Smile*): one scarlet, one fuchsia, one white. In February that's a source of joy. As is the sun when it peeks out.

BLOGVILLE

I'm trying to rethink how I visit blogs. I usually go to my links at the left or check the blog page ... silly me ... I cannot keep up that way. I finally figured out that "my favorites" will update blogs by the entry (how many have told me that how many times? *Rolleyes*) and I'm going to check on folks that way. However, I'll still check the blog page as that is the best way to find new bloggers. *Smile*

Us "oldtimers" lament that certain folks are gone or not blogging. Well ... there are always new folks who need encouragement. As in-real-life, we grow older and lose friends. Rather than lament, better to make new friends so they'll be more to mourn us when we finally 'leave' too.

PROMPTS FOR THE DAY:

I had to scribble this note before falling asleep: "And I am every lonely child hiding in the caves of want and fear."

Montana: *Rolleyes* 31º at 11:00
11,602

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634284-Stalking-the-wild-haggis