*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/633559-The-bitter-river-rumbles
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#633559 added February 2, 2009 at 8:43pm
Restrictions: None
The bitter river rumbles
The bitter river rumbles


In the quiet,
the bitter river rumbles of when it flowed unfettered
of human flotsam and jetsam,
of when it reached out to drown willows
now notched by chain saws
and beavers;

leave her,
leave her,
leave her be,

flap mallards in ice free channels
as mist dissipates like a hiss from a distant past

Ice flows crash,
catch a limb and lodge in its throat.

Aghast,
the bitterness lies frozen
and ghosts of glaciers quiet at last.

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.427] 2009-01-30

Who said write about the quiet? A collage of thoughts and images. Mallards are one of the few birds seen in the winter. Others: eagle, heron, crow, sparrow. The most annoying sound in the relative silence is the roar of tires over the roads. Very noticeable and annoying. As for the river, I haven't seen it freeze entirely over, but the channels do.

blah blah blah:


In keeping with my no-calorie blog: I fried up the last of the polenta (Italian cornmeal) in olive oil and added two eggs, then sprinkled feta cheese on top and toasted two slices of bread. I tell you this first so you-all don't think I'm totally bonkers. *Rolleyes*

Yesterday I walked to the store. I had this urge for peanut butter cups. $$$ouch$$$ has anyone seen the price of comfort candy? So I bought my milk, eggs, rutabaga and the usual suspects. But ... I still wanted my peanut butter cups. *Idea* I made a peanut butter sandwich and dunked it in chocolate milk ... growing up with leftovers and having to make do has its advantages! *Laugh*

My sister called ... hmmm ... I guess my mother spoke to her. *Rolleyes* I think it's fair; I'm more than willing to call her, it's just that she's the one who is always very busy. I never know when to call and answering machines are aggravating.

So ... Gavin Alexander William (her grandson, now 27 days old) is doing well, but Jennifer is having a hard time with PPD (post-partem) and Shelley has been staying over to help. She's looked into becoming a certified doula (Greek word for a mother's helper?). In Washington State there are programs that actually pay. Anyone here know about this?

The sun wants to come out and play; it really really do ... alas, it's 4 pm and it just winked a few rays my way before it goes off to bed. *Frown*

So, I went for a walk. "Winter-walk from Myrtle to the Rose Garden


PROMPTS FOR THE DAY:

Write a story about a campaign outlawing breasts ... yep, you heard me ... breasts. The local ongoing debate over mothers breast-feeding in public has been brutal. Maybe next they should ban all ugly people from public places too. Except ... it's been done before many times in this land of 'liberty' (vraiment ... liberté et fraternité for white protestant male landowners only d'un certain age).

Montana: *Rolleyes* 35º at 15:00
11,445

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/633559-The-bitter-river-rumbles