*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/632548-Strategies-r-and-K
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#632548 added January 28, 2009 at 4:22pm
Restrictions: None
Strategies (r and K)
Strategies

We guard each single procreation;
we are eagles; we are elephants.

We fling our seed on sands, to stars;
we are salmon; we are sycophants.

We write prose a thousand pages long,
stories loose with words that fade.

We pen poetry and count each syllable;
images that hold weight for an Age.

We aim arrows at the silhouetted king;
scatter crumbs to thankless multitudes.

Fickle fame is truly hit or miss,
yet fury comes in hoards.

We do as we must each day
to find the key of our Lord's dispenser.

For no matter how close to the edge,
all roads lead to the center.

© 2009 Kåre Enga [165.420] 2008-01-26

I was thinking of r and K strategies of animals and plants. An almost Buddhist line "all roads, no matter how close to the edge, lead to the center" came to mind. I thought of elephants and how each birth is precious; how many animals birth a thousand in hopes that a few will make it. How each of us has strategies to survive this life and leave something for the next generation.

r and K wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-selected

BLAH BLAH BLAH:


Beautiful fluff last night and no wind. I came home early.

Today I had root vegetables and virtues on my mind. Anyone eat gobo, tumshie, maca, ahipa, jicama or skirret? Yes? No? Anyhoo, I decided that radishes demonstrate one virtue in particular: enthusiasm. Place a seed on a moist tissue and watch it sprout before your very eyes! Almost magical when seen through a child's eyes. Enthusiasm is infectious; makes you want to go out and buy seeds for an early spring planting, no? Anyhoo, I'm enthusiastic, so I guess I'm a radish. Call me Mr. Roodbol. *Smirk*

Wiki-root-vegetables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_vegetable

Had schnitzel for lunch, so I'm happy. I joked to Elisabeth that it wasn't any good; so, she gave me more. *Bigsmile* And I knew I had to eat it all or suffer the consequences.

PROMPT OF THE DAY:

From the net: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. 'The Big Bopper' Richardson crashed killing all aboard, Feb. 3, 1959, near Clear Lake, Iowa. It's been nearly 50 years since the single-engine plane crashed into a snow-covered Iowa field and later this month thousands of people are expected to gather in the small northern Iowa town where the rock pioneers gave their last performance.

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uEjifqTaI&feature=related

My question: Can you think of a better or more evocative response than "American Pie"? What would you write/sing about the day the music died?

Montana: *Snow1* 21º at 10:00

11,225

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/632548-Strategies-r-and-K