*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/630863-Too-little-or-too-much
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1468633
With some disdain and a great deal of steel, she begins again.
#630863 added January 20, 2009 at 11:10am
Restrictions: None
Too little or too much?
"Invalid Entry

You must take chances. If you do nothing, you reduce the possibilities you have for greater joy.

—Walter Anderson

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I know it's true, though, because sitting around and thinking isn't really doing much for me. At the moment, I am feeling slightly panicked, woke up with a whirling dervish in my belly, and I tried to talk myself down, tried to tell myself it's nothing I haven't felt before, but each time it happens it feels new. I am a cat clawing to get out of the tepid bathwater. I am a rabbit disappearing into the hole.

The reasons are not mysterious: lack of money, lack of employment, lack of good humour. I was doing fine until I spoke with A. yesterday who decided that it was necessary to scare the bejesus out of me by going on about the ridiculously tough job market, despite knowing I am prone to panic over a hangnail. Not to scare you...she started her tirade, but she did, and I was wrecked for a good bit of last evening. Seems it spilled over to the morning.

So, I am on edge, and I am unhappy as a result. I read the leading entry today and the bitter part of me rolled my eyes at the very thought of coming up with all things I'm grateful for, because frankly, I am feeling vulnerable and angry which does not bode well for happy thoughts. I'm in the sort of mood where a well-intentioned hand would be slapped away without a bit of hesitation. I am snappish and impatient. I am sexless and offended by the sight of food. I want to take the pixie-fairy happy people and rip their wings off. I want to be reasonable, but I'm flooded with the kind of desperation which means business and I want to be sorry about it, but I'm not.

It used to be that I would let the venom fly. When I was like this, full of adrenaline, I'd take it out on whomever was standing the closest. I was so angry to be feeling it, so bent on wailing about the unfairness that it didn't matter to me if I spread it around a little. Misery loves company and all that. Now, though, I'm starting to get it. I'm beginning to understand that this creates a barrier between myself and the people I need on my good days (as much as I don't want to need them, I do). It's all well and good to be defiant and haughty when you're young and foolish but then you round a corner, take on a different decade, and you know, you just know that what really matters is who is pulling for you.

I've been told, by more than one happy person, that panic/anxiety is actually a gift. Obviously, I snorted in contempt when I was told this. What sort of deluded idiot would try to convince me that all the suffering, all the twisted stomach-aches, the cold sweats, the laboured breathing, the bouts of fetal-positioned rocking, the hours of weeping in a dark room, the flashes of yearning for blackness, were all part of an elaborate gift? It was insane, I figured, that anyone would try to make me feel like I was suffering for something which in the end would prove to have been some sort of tool for awakening. No, I decided, they were not only wrong, but they were mean for even suggesting such a thing.

Slowly, though, with heels dragging and head slumped forward in defeat, I have come to understand what they meant. Even now, in my angry, head-ripping kind of mindspace, I know that I am more aware than I ever was before the madness ensued. In the moments when I am calm, and there are moments now and then, I am careful to hold on to every second of it. I am smelling it, feeling it, tasting it. I don't let them go by unnoticed. I sit back and I see all the others who share my affliction and I am eager to stretch my hand out, but of course, being in the throes of it, they tend to look at me like I'm sort of bible-thumping, new aged, tree lover. If only they know I'm not so good. I am so flawed, so prone to thinking dirty thoughts and eye-rolling, that I am in no way a prophet or disciple. I am simply someone who knows. I know the feelings they have, I feel the same bubbling under the skin, and because I'm one of them, I want to pull them up as high as my arms will let me. I have seen calm, I know it's there, and I never take it for granted.

My dream is to one day be free from the obsessive thinking. I have trouble imagining a life in which I do what I want to do without taking a few minutes to work myself up into an anticipatory panic. What's it like to get on a plane and go to explore a different country? What's it like to feel comfortable all alone? What sort of liberation is there in moving forward without ever looking back?

Occasionally, I become one of the happy people, if only for a handful of time. I read the motivational articles and savour each and every word. I breathe in deeply and hold it, letting it out at the moment of my choosing. I pontificate and I sometimes pray, even if I'm not certain anyone's listening. It always feels better than allowing the suspicion to take me over. It's then that I start to believe in myself, maybe for the first time in my life.

So, maybe it is a gift, and if one day I see it as such, I will be grateful. Until then, allow me to hate the wrapping paper and to curse at the awkwardly worded instructions. If I could have returned it, I would have by now, but there is a little bit of me who intuitively senses that there is something worthwhile at the centre of it all.

I'll just whine, cry and curse until I find it.


Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2009 katwoman45 (UN: katwoman45 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
katwoman45 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/630863-Too-little-or-too-much