*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619285-Warned
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1496912
Story of making it through child abuse.
#619285 added November 18, 2008 at 3:46pm
Restrictions: None
Warned
The smell of bacon drifted through the trailer as I opened my eyes in the morning. Contrary to sitting up on the couch, the way I had fallen asleep last night, I found myself laying in bed, under the fluffy covers, pale rays of sunlight glimmering across my face.

I sat up and stretched, then looked over to the clock. 11:10AM.

"James?" I called out.

"Making breakfast!" his voice was the only thing I needed to start the morning. I climbed out from under the blankets and shuffled slowly to the kitchen, rubbing my eyes. It was much warmer in the main part of the trailer than in the rooms. I sat down at the rounded table with the booth type seat next to the window.

"Good morning baby face." James set a plate of two eggs, a piece of toast, and a slice of bacon in front of me. An all American breakfast, he told me. "My head kinda hurts." I said picking up my fork. He laughed and sat down next to me with a plate for himself. "Well that’s what you get for drinking." he jokingly scolded me. "Damn ya'll are loud." Uncle Robbie walked in scratching his scruffy chin. "Ooh breakfast." he grabbed a cup of coffee and a plate. When he had piled on a mountain of food, all of what was left, he kissed me on the forehead and scooted into the red booth on my right side. "Good morning baby girl."

"Morning Uncle Robbie." I flashed a smile at him and continued eating. "We're gonna sign you up for school today." he spoke with his mouth stuffed full of eggs. "You're in uh, ninth grade right?" I finished my last bite and answered him yes.

"Well, I gotta go to work." James said a few minutes later. He slid out of the booth. "I'll catch you guys later." "Ehvie," Uncle Robbie said, "Why don't you go ahead and clean up the dishes and take a shower. Then we'll go." He got up and followed James out, the screen door slamming behind them. I got up too and collected the dirty plates. I heard Uncle Robbie's deep raspy voice outside, and moved to the side of the door, listening in.

"...And she's my little niece." I heard him say. "She's fourteen, and you's 18." He coughed and lowered his voice. "I better not catch you f***in her. Not for the next 4 years anyways. You got me? I got a bullet wit your name on it if you do." He threatened. "Yeah, absolutely man." James's voice broke slightly. I walked over to the sink and turned on the warm water and began rinsing the dishes off and washing them down with soap. Nervous about this side of Uncle Robbie I hadn't seen before.

The screen door shut beside the table and I heard the sound of James's car starting up. "Ehv, I think we've already been over this, but just to make sure, you are not to have sex until you are eighteen. I don't wanna be raisin no babies around here." He looked me up and down. My insides turned from the look he gave me. "You still a virgin right?" he asked. I nodded my head truthfully. "Yes."
He smiled, "Good, well let’s keep it that way."

I finished the dishes and got in the shower.
© Copyright 2008 Wednesday (UN: xxwednesdayxxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wednesday has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619285-Warned