*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619284-New-School-Old-Friend
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1496912
Story of making it through child abuse.
#619284 added November 18, 2008 at 3:46pm
Restrictions: None
New School, Old Friend
Dripping wet, I stepped out on to the cold tile of the bathroom floor. I gazed at my frail naked reflection in disappointment. I pinched my belly and frowned at the little bit of fat I saw. My long black hair was put up in a bun so it didn’t get wet in the shower. I dried off and let it down. I walked down the hall to my room, wrapped in a green cotton towel and got dressed in an old white T-shirt and a pink plaid skirt. Then returned to the bathroom to hang up my wet towel and brush my teeth.

Going back down the hall, I passed Uncle Robbie's room. He was spiking his short blonde hair, and pulling on the hair on his chin. He wore a big white and yellow South Pole shirt. Probably 2 or 3 sizes too big for him, and his light blue shorts went just a couple inches above his ankles, and dangled just over his white Nikes. He saw me looking at him in the mirror. "Hey baby girl." He turned around and grinned at me from ear to ear. "Wow Ehvie, you look real good. Smile for me." I smiled. "Beautiful." he said, "Come on, let's go."

We arrived at the high school at around one. An older lady at the front desk looked up through large framed glasses. "Hi there!" she greeted us, "Can I help you two?" Uncle Robbie cleared his throat and spoke, "Hi, I need to sign my niece up for the ninth grade." He leaned on the desk. "I'm pretty sure she's been transferred from her old school."

She looked over at me, "Uh-huh, well lets see, what's your name dear?"

"Ehvie Davids." He answered for me.

She typed it in to her old white PC. "Ah hah, I think this might be it. Ehvie Lauren Davids?" She squinted at me.

"Uh, yes." I replied.

"Your previous school was Raven Crest High School in Osmend, Illinois, correct?"

"Yeah that’s right."

"Well it appears we have your file, but we need to update a few things." She looked up at Robbie, appearing to be lost in her huge glasses. "Are you her father?" He dug in his pocket while shaking his head, "Uh, no, I'm her Uncle, but I'm the legal guardian." He retrieved a folded piece of paper from his pocket. "I'm Robert Berrett. Here, I've got this document on the custody." He set it on her desk on top of a pile of cluttered papers.

"Okay Mr. Berrett, and how old are you?"

"29." he answered.

"And what is your contact number?"

He handed her a white and blue business card from his wallet. "My cell would be best to reach me."

The high-pitched school bell rang and tons of kids pours from the classrooms into the courtyard. Uncle Robbie continued to answer the woman's never-ending questions, and I looked around. Most of the kids were dressed normal. Not too many rich looking kids. A few gothic looking kids. Everyone was in their respected clique. Just the way I wanted it. I smiled a little. Out of nowhere one of my closest friends walked by; I almost hadn't noticed him.

"Zek?" I said, my cracking nervous voice surprised me. He stopped in his tracks, as if he had run into an invisible wall, and turned to look at me, pushing his shaggy brown hair from his dazzling eyes; the perfect shade of green. "Oh my god, Ehvie!" his mouth was half-open in disbelief. "What-What are you doing here?" I laughed, "What are you doing here?" He ran his slender hands through his hair. "Ah, I got arrested in Osmend one too many times for Mom. She sent me here to live with my Pops and his friend Josh. To stop me from partying, or something." He scoffed.

I had known Zek Robinson for a little over a year. He was 15 going on 16 in a month, and he was just like a big brother to me. He had a hard life back home, and although he was young, most 30 year olds couldn't compare their experiences to his. A known drug addict, and alcoholic, it was surprising he could stand up straight half of the time. And with all the unprotected sex he had, it was amazing he hadn't had any kids yet. He had the potential to be a good kid, but he could not seem to stay out of trouble. "You gonna go here?" he asked me. "Yep." I smiled, and he pulled me in for a hug. My body was warm against his tan hoodie. "I heard about what happened babe." Zek whispered.

My heart pained. "Its so good to see you Ehvie." he said, he had no idea. "I'm starting tomorrow." I said wiping warm tears from the corners of my eyes. "You should come hang out tonight. I live on Greenwich Ct., the third house on the right." He hugged me tightly again. "I'm gonna be late for fifth period." I laughed at him. "Like you care." I said. He flashed a bright smile at me and walked off.

"Well who the hell was that?" Uncle Robbie asked while we were walking back out to the parking lot. "My friend Zek." I explained. "He's like a brother to me. Oh and to James too. I had no idea he lived around here now."

"Well you're starting school in the morning." he coughed and turned the radio on, then grabbed a cigarette out of the box of Camels sitting on the dashboard. We didn't speak the rest of the way home.

We pulled up in front of the trailer; normally we would have parked on the side. "I've gotta work second shift today, so I'll see you home at 10. Sound good?" he leaned over and kissed my cheek. I nodded. "Love ya girlie." I climbed out and shut the door to his new SUV. He crouched down so I could see him through the windshield and did a little wave before he pulled out.
© Copyright 2008 Wednesday (UN: xxwednesdayxxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wednesday has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619284-New-School-Old-Friend