*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/609113-Sticking-my-tongue-out-at-that-colossal-stinker-McCain
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#609113 added September 24, 2008 at 4:30pm
Restrictions: None
Sticking my tongue out at that colossal stinker, McCain
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/24/politics/main4475502.shtml

In addition to suspending his campaign, McCain has suggested cancelling the debate between himself and Barack Obama Friday night to address the financial crisis. More specifically, according to the website I posted, he wants attention focused on the Wall Street meltdown.

Normally, I wouldn't care whether the debate went on or not. Although I have a sneaking interest in politics, debates bore me to tears. Usually, in spite of vast amounts of verbage, neither one of the candidates manages to say anything worth listening too. Plus, the media will put their own spin on everything anyway.

However, I was looking forward to this Friday's debate. Why? Because it is scheduled to be held in Mississippi. Specifically, at the University of Mississippi, more commonly known as Ole Miss.

Mississippi has been proud to finally have something that will help lend credibility to the state. We get so much negative press on everything from being the most overweight state, to being perceived as backwards, even down to being on the low end educationally. All of which I can understand, mind you. It's just that having a presidential debate here is a morale booster.

It makes me wonder if McCain just doesn't want to come here. Why is cancelling the debate going to help the current financial crisis? In fact, it will hurt the area surrounding where the debate will be. I don't remember the amount, but they were talking on the news the other night about how how much they have spent to get ready. Just the news media present for the event were expected to pour vast amounts of money into the economy. I think McCain is scared to come to Mississippi because of our reputation.

Boo, McCain. I'm dissappointed. This is just another let-down for us.

© Copyright 2008 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/609113-Sticking-my-tongue-out-at-that-colossal-stinker-McCain