*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/608704-Why-we-should-be-thankful-Marilyn-died-young
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#608704 added September 22, 2008 at 2:05pm
Restrictions: None
Why we should be thankful Marilyn died young
Why we should be thankful Marilyn died young

Smooth bum of baby,
now wrinkled, now sagging,
the blood gorged rectal berry ready to burst.

The eyes that followed every movement intently,
now covered with rheum;
the throat coated with thrush.

Those arched feet that flew,
the toes that once danced,
now doing the shuffle, ingrown and flat.

And what of the arms
that held out for hugs?
They shake listless still waiting.

Oh, Norma Jean! If your candle still beamed ...
would we be stoking your embers
or sweeping up ash.

Would your eye-lashes flick
or would lips merely tremble,
forgetting the name that they gave you.

And should an updraft lift up your nightie
would we gaze at Depends.
Death mends

our image of those who pass young
from our sight
forever unwrinkled, body parts working,
ass tight.

© 2008 Kåre Enga [165.272] 2008-09-19

James Dean ... "live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse"

Norma Jeane Mortenson (Baker) aka Marilyn Monroe would've been 82 this year (1926-1962). She was a youthful 36 when she died.

My mother is 86. At the Senior Center Jan Young is 90. But ... not all folks still get round at that age. I joked with Jan that she should get her son some Depends when he turns 65 on New Years. When I look in the mirror, each time I feel an unwelcome twitch, I think of how I am aging.

A link to the famous photo I alluded to:
http://www.gallerym.com/images/work/big/associated%20press_marilyn_monroe_seven_...

ME:


I'm still not functioning well in the mornings. I set off the fire alarm by boiling water ... that got me moving! And I made a sandwich of bologna, olive-oil mayo and tomato on honey oatmeal bread. That was excellent! Normally, I don't like tomato, but this was a local yellow brandywine and full of flavor.

I should go for a walk. The sunshine was slanting through rainshowers. There is snow on Lolo Peak.

But, I need to get ready for Sushi on Wednesday. *Rolleyes* I have some neat ideas for the booklet and this afternoon will post a bunch of short poems on-line for everyone's opinion. Will need to get more Montana opinions on this upcoming one. Kendra may be the perfect demographic! *Bigsmile*

I handed some out at the poetry reading last night at the underground Palace. Saw a couple professors there too. It is always nice when those who have 'made it' support those who are struggling to make it.

QUILT:

The AIDS quilt is awesome. Only 100 panels with 800 names, but still ... arranged on and around the basketball court it was a wonderful sight. There was soft harp music playing and it took me by surprise when I turned around to see an older lady dressed up in white and gold playing the harp! Velma Cameron lost her son to AIDS 20 years ago. She comes to these events to play. And she must have fingers of steel; she played for over 4 hours.

The names ... of young, old, individuals, couples even families, the famous and unknown. All loved. They are not forgotten. Some of the quilts had common items or reflected meagre means of the makers; some were so well crafted they could take blue ribbons at a state fair.

This comment written on the quilt of Clark Hausske touched me: "I can still see Clark in my heart", nephew Scott.

The New Zealand Quilt Project panel said: "To those loved and known from those who still care."

So, of course, I thought immediately of Bob French who died at age 18 from a motorcycle accident. I was in college and was devastated then; I've never forgot.

This thought crossed my mind: A cure for growing old and being forgotten.

The face of AIDS has changed from a death sentence to a chronic condition (like diabetes ... it will get you in the end, but not today). Although there were readers of the names at the opening ceremonies from the university, including the head coaches of the football and both basketball teams, I don't believe it was announced at the homecoming game. They were displayed next door at the Adams Center. And it's not as if there were crowds after the game either. So, I figure it was ignored by over 20,000 people. Still, it was in the newspaper and many folks were aware, if only peripherally. This was my first visit, so I can't get too self-righteous about it all.

If a segment comes to your town it is worth going and honoring the display, not of death, but of remembrance.

*Leaf5* *Leaf5* *Leaf3* *Leaf5* *Leaf2* *Leaf5* *Leaf5* *Leaf3* *Leaf5* *Snow1* *Leaf5*

Montana: 55º at noon.
7982

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/608704-Why-we-should-be-thankful-Marilyn-died-young