*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604200-Factoid-Babies-Bounce
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#604200 added August 28, 2008 at 11:42am
Restrictions: None
Factoid: Babies Bounce.
Babies look so fragile, don't they? They can't do so many things until they reach a certain age, completely dependent on their parents.

That seeming fragility is far from reality. God made babies tough, and he did so for a very specific and important reason: me. He knew I would do -- or not do -- certain things that should harm the little guy, but in the end only makes him cry for a few minutes.

Rufus loves potatoes. Once in a while if she's particularly good, I'll toss one for her to chase and scarf down within forty-five seconds.

Standing in the kitchen I decided Rufus deserved a potato. I went to throw it into the living room, but reminded myself to be careful because Thomas was playing on the floor.

I threw it, heard a little bonk and not a second later Thomas screamed. Sure, I knew where Thomas lay and made sure I threw it away from him. What I didn't take into consideration was ricochet. Yep, that little potato hit him square on the top of his head after bouncing off the entertainment center. After two minutes of crying, he happily played on the floor as if nothing happened.

A few days ago, I needed to use the bathroom. I decided to place him in the middle of our bed. I didn't bother to surround him with pillows, because I figured in the time it took to do my business he wouldn't have enough time to roll off.

Yeah. I have yet to learn what worked yesterday and the days before won't necessarily work today.

Not thirty seconds after I entered the bathroom I heard an awful thump, a profound silence, then a scream. I ran out of the bathroom to find Thomas on the floor, face red, tears streaming and an expression like, "Why did you leave me alone, and how did I get here?"

Sigh.

I looked him over, and no bumps or bruises. He didn't even cry long as the fall only startled him. Whew!

Yep, God made babies tough for negligent parents like me.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604200-Factoid-Babies-Bounce