*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/603017-Petfinders
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#603017 added August 21, 2008 at 12:13am
Restrictions: None
Petfinders
Today I had three new patients to see, and the first two were not at all interested in having me there. So, because I had over an hour before my last appointment, I went to the Humane Society and played with a puppy. She was billed as a border collie, but looked more like a wirehair terrier/lab cross to me. She hadn't finished her series of puppy shots, so I couldn't take her for a walk outside, but sat in the play room and played with her for half an hour. She had a great time with a tennis ball, and would make a terrific soccer player. Her sharp little teeth reminded me, though, of why I don't want a puppy, but some play time was really fun.

I intended to take Chico out for a walk, but he'd been transferred to a PAWS facility in Seattle. That makes me sad, but they assured me he'd get placed that way. I hope his separation anxiety history goes with him, but they're pretty close mouthed about that. Some shelters give a good history of their dogs, but this one doesn't.

My second choice for a walk was a 6 yr old beagle named Sophie, but she too had been transferred. Both dogs have been at that shelter for a very short time, so I don't know why they were among the ones to go.

The shelters are full. That was the reason I was given for transferring them, and, sure enough, I read tonight on Craig's List that the larger shelter in the Tri-Cities is full too and hunting for foster homes as well as adopters. Save a life, they all say. Makes me want to go out and bring home a car full, but I know that wouldn't be good either. One or two is all I can make time for. If I hadn't had a 4pm appointment I would have driven over. There's a young dog listed as Havanese who is very cute, and a black poodle mix who appeals to me too.

Dog names are still a problem. If it's a mature dog who is used to its name, I'd think it would be hard to change it. But an awful lot of dogs, including several I'd be happy to take home, are named Sophie, my granddaughter's name. I told her about it, and she said she thought that was "creepy." I've also found an adorable "Jackson," the same name as Sophie's twin brother, and a Katie and several Lucys. There's a wonderful English sheepdog named Henry, my son's name, and a shepherd/collie mix who stars in the "Save Me!" ad, whose name is William. I think Bill liked him. *Smile*

Wish I could get over there tomorrow, but I have a funeral to help with sixty miles away at eleven and a team meeting from three to five. Maybe Friday, after the Blind Man comes.

Am I obsessing about this dog thing? Yea, a little. Don't know why either, but there it is. Dogs are a part of my life that I don't want to give up.

Oh, here's another interesting thing: I've had a new GE wall oven on sale on craigslist. Bill bought it, and it is too large for the space I have. I got an email today from someone who definitely wants to buy it, even offered to pay $70 more for me to hold it for her, but insists on a cashiers check. She wanted my name and address, said she'd send the check and "have a courier pick up the oven" after the check has cleared. Do you smell a scam? I do.

When we bought our airplane, the owner said he'd had someone appear with a cashiers' check for over the amount he asked for, wanting him to give them the cash for the extra money. It was a fraud.

I don't know how this works, but I looked frauds up on craigslist and they said not to take cashiers checks or sell anything without a contact with the buyer. It makes no sense that someone could buy a cashiers check and couldn't pay cash, unless the checks are counterfeit. Have you ever heard of anything like that?


© Copyright 2008 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/603017-Petfinders