*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/602840-Okay-now-what
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#602840 added August 19, 2008 at 9:31pm
Restrictions: None
Okay... now what?
So, I've now officially seen the Best Concert Ever - Springsteen, Richmond, yesterday - and I'm left asking myself: now what?

What else could I possibly have to look forward to?

Yeah, I know some of y'all are saying, "Well, of course you thought it was great, but you're biased." No. My wife, and my friend who went with us - they reached their own independent conclusions that it was the most awesome thing ever.

The band played for three and a half hours. No one does that anymore. And Bruce hasn't done that since the 1980s, when four-hour sets weren't unheard of. There's a guy - a whole band, actually - who obviously enjoy what they do, and are good at it. I don't envy Springsteen his fame (and only a little bit his fortune), because those come with other problems. No, but I do envy him the ability to spend his life doing something that he clearly loves to do, and having the talent to do it. There's some indication there's a correlation there, but we'll leave that for now.

So okay, it's all downhill from here. I can maybe, eventually, accept that. At least I can say I've seen the pinnacle of awesomeness.

Actually, maybe now I can relax, and stop striving for the next great thing, knowing that it's going to be impossible. I can get back to writing, even - about the only thing I might have a shred of talent at, and enjoy doing.

And today something happened with my back - at one point, I noticed that it wasn't hurting so much, and I could move my leg in a way I haven't been able to do for a while from all the pain. Is there actually light at the end of the tunnel that is not the headlamp of an oncoming train?

I don't want to be optimistic about it. That'd be a good way to get myself let down. But it might actually be getting better.

We'll see.

Well now when in doubt and you can't figure it out
Just stand on it
Well, if your mind's confused, you don't know what you're gonna do
Well buddy, stand on it
Well if you've lost control of the situation at hand
Go grab a girl; go see a rock and roll band
And stand on it
Come on man, stand on it

-Bruce

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/602840-Okay-now-what